• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Lorry driver bailed over A27 Brighton Bypass van

by Frank le Duc
Friday 26 Jul, 2013 at 9:11PM
A A
0

The 44-year-old lorry driver who was arrested after a crash forced the closure of the A27 has been released on police bail.

The man, from Doncaster, was arrested and questioned after the lorry that he was driving crashed into a black Vauxhall Zafira near Southwick Tunnel shortly after 1pm yesterday (Thursday 25 July).

The eastbound lorry crossed the central reservation and turned over, blocking the westbound side of the road.

Sussex Police said: “The eastbound side of the road had to be closed because of the damage to the barrier and the wreckage of the Vauxhall.

“It is believed that the car was travelling slowly, possibly with its hazard warning lights flashing, about half a mile east of the Southwick Tunnel when it was hit.”

The 49-year-old driver of the Vauxhall, a man from Hassocks, suffered leg and chest injuries and was taken to Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton for treatment.

His passenger, a 79-year-old man, also from Hassocks, suffered what were at first thought to be serious head injuries and was flown to Southampton General Hospital. Those injuries are now believed to be relatively minor.

The lorry driver was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton where he was treated for minor injuries.

After he was released from hospital he was arrested on suspicion of causing serious injury through dangerous driving.

The A27 was closed between Hangleton and Holmbush for more than six hours and further repair work to the central barriers meant that it had to be closed again later yesterday evening.

Sergeant Tony Crisp, from the Sussex Police Road Policing Unit, said: “Motorists faced many hours of delays because of the collision and I am grateful for all the patience they showed.

“Although the incident itself was over relatively quickly the A27 was left too dangerous to use until the vehicles involved had been removed and the barriers made safe.

“I am still keen to speak to any drivers who saw the collision take place or who saw either of the vehicles involved in the minutes beforehand.”

Anyone with information is asked to call 101 or the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Lorry driver bailed over A27 Brighton Bypass van

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Firefighters put out blaze on boat at Marina

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
July 2013
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News