• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Hove

Olympic diver signs online petition for 50m pool in Hove

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 14 Nov, 2013 at 7:06AM
A A
2

Olympic diver Chris Mears has become the first person to sign an online petition calling for a 50-metre swimming pool in place of the King Alfred in Hove.

The petition has been started by Mike Weatherley, the Conservative MP for Hove, “due to popular demand”.

He started a paper petition jointly with Shiverers Swimming Club last month having gauged demand at a public meeting.

Mr Weatherley said that the advantages of a 50m pool, which could be divided, like the K2 in Crawley, included cost and flexibility.

He said “A petition backing the wishes of residents was recently drawn up in order to highlight the desire locally for first-rate, flexible facilities.

“Parents, young swimmers, swimming groups and sports clubs have all backed the campaign for a dividable 50m facility.”

As well as having the backing of Mears and Shiverers, the campaign for a 50m pool is being supported by the Amateur Swimming Association.

Mr Weatherley said: “I am delighted that Chris Mears has agreed to back this entirely sensible proposal.

“Residents clearly want a first-rate 50m swimming pool with diving facilities.

“As well as embracing the Olympic legacy after the success of the London 2012 Games, it just makes long-term sense to provide children and adults in Brighton and Hove with the most flexible facilities.”

The petition can be signed by clicking here.

It says: “Due to popular demand, an online petition has been started to accompany the paper petition. We, the undersigned, back calls from Mike Weatherley MP, Shiverers Swimming Club and the Amateur Swimming Association to replace outdated swimming facilities at the King Alfred with a new more flexible 50m pool that includes leisure and diving facilities for the benefit of all Brighton and Hove residents.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Valerie Paynter says:
    12 years ago

    This petition appears not to require signatories actually be resident. This would rather skew results and cause it to lose all value.

    It must be remembered that in the days of Citigrove’s wish to redevelop at the end of the 1990’s, a public meeting, hosted by BHCC at Hove Town Hall, were told by Sport England that they did not support a 50m Olympic sized pool for King Alfred. I seem to recall them mentioning this was because of one already being in a town along the coast. In other words lack of demand.

    There was no support from Sport England for one for King Alfred during the Karis redevelopment attempt either.

    Demand needs to be established and compared with costings and I wonder if Mike Weatherly is prepared to take that on over and above getting all and sundry from round the country to sign his petition.

    Reply
  2. Valerie Paynter says:
    12 years ago

    This petition appears not to require signatories actually be resident. This would rather skew results and cause it to lose all value.

    It must be remembered that in the days of Citigrove’s wish to redevelop at the end of the 1990’s, a public meeting, hosted by BHCC at Hove Town Hall, were told by Sport England that they did not support a 50m Olympic sized pool for King Alfred. I seem to recall them mentioning this was because of one already being in a town along the coast. In other words lack of demand.

    There was no support from Sport England for one for King Alfred during the Karis redevelopment attempt either.

    Demand needs to be established and compared with costings and I wonder if Mike Weatherly is prepared to take that on over and above getting all and sundry from round the country to sign his petition.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Café can become gym after plans approved

Four surgeries set to move into new medical centre

Man arrested for perverting justice in Cityclean investigation

Olympic diver signs online petition for 50m pool in Hove

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

School building to become temporary charity hub

New mural encourages tourists into the North Laine

Hove man given ‘slavery and trafficking risk order’

Hedges to go at King Alfred as demolition prep-work continues

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

19 February 2026
Please Do Not Touch Preview

Please Do Not Touch Preview

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
November 2013
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News