Take Part – billed as Britain’s biggest festival of sport – starts today (Saturday 21 June) in Preston Park in Brighton.
Dozens of taster sessions, demonstrations and displays mark the opening of the two-week festival aimed at encouraging people to become more active.
Preston Park will be divided into 20 zones for five hours from noon and will feature a wide range of community sport, dance and active lifestyle activities to try.
Brighton and Hove City Council said: “There is something for everyone, with options for all ages.”
Although the council organises Take Part, it said: “The event is only possible due to the enthusiasm and dedication of local clubs and groups.
“There are almost 100 local groups taking part in the event, spending the day sharing their passion and skills as well as visiting clubs and experts from further afield to add to the experience.”
Councillor Geoffrey Bowden, the chairman of the council’s Economic Development and Culture Committee, said: “The Take Part Family Fun Day launches a summer of sporting fun across Brighton and Hove.
“It’s all the best sporting activities in our city condensed into one place for one day each year. I encourage everyone to go and see what is on offer and enjoy a great day out.”
The two-week Take Part festival opens with the fun day in Preston Park and ends with the Paddle Round the Pier on Saturday 5 July and Sunday 6 July.
Other highlights this year include
- Wednesday 25 June to Friday 4 July – Take Part in schools, including athletics and swimming galas
- Wednesday 25 June from 4.30 to 6pm – Health walk, family challenge walk and treasure hunt
- Friday 27 June and Saturday 28 June – Take Part local, four events across the city, including a Big Fun Day at Wild Park
- Saturday 28 June from 11am to 5pm – Brighton Bikestock, community cycling event at Stanmer Park
- Tuesday 1 July from 10am to 1pm – Active Forever, older people’s event
- Thursday 3 July from 5pm to 8pm – Take Part in the City, taking over New Road and Jubilee Square
For more details, click here.
LIKE WHAT WE DO? HELP US TO DO MORE OF IT BY DONATING HERE.