• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Brighton seafront roadworks to continue until November

by bhnews
Wednesday 20 Aug, 2014 at 10:08AM
A A
14

Roadworks on Brighton seafront caused by the partial collapse of the Fortune of War arches will now continue until November.

King’s Road has been partly closed at the bottom of West Street since Friday, 25 April when a hole appeared in the road.

Engineers initially hoped to have the road open again in eight weeks, then by September – but today, the council announced it had been delayed once more after investigations revealed the problems were not confined to just one arch.

Andrew Renaut, interim head of highways engineering and projects, said: “I really understand people’s frustration with the length of time this project is taking.

“Unfortunately the work is more complex than we expected and we are working really hard with our contractors and the property owners to design and build a safe solution.”

A council spokeswoman said: “Since the original collapse of we’ve been working really hard with our contractors and the property owners on all the separate issues that have now been identified under the road.

“These individual problems are linked to previous internal alterations.  Before any actual re-construction can be done, it is essential that we help them design and check all of the work that needs to be done to ensure that it is safe and that it will not affect any other arches nearby as they are all joined together.

“Unfortunately, this work is proving to be more complicated than expected but we need to be able to agree a safe solution to the problems, and we’ll keep everybody updated.

“We understand some people’s concern and frustration about the months that have passed since the first incident, but by getting the design right we are confident that these locations will stay standing and be able to operate as business premises and seafront attractions for another 120 years.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 14

  1. feline1 says:
    12 years ago

    Yet another scam on the public purse where a contractor blags a preposterously extended contract when the actual work will only take a fraction of the time? Leaving him free to redeploy his staff on other contracts for a substantial proportion of the duration? Or am I being far too cynical?

    Reply
  2. feline1 says:
    12 years ago

    Yet another scam on the public purse where a contractor blags a preposterously extended contract when the actual work will only take a fraction of the time? Leaving him free to redeploy his staff on other contracts for a substantial proportion of the duration? Or am I being far too cynical?

    Reply
  3. feline1 says:
    12 years ago

    Yet another scam on the public purse where a contractor blags a preposterously extended contract when the actual work will only take a fraction of the time? Leaving him free to redeploy his staff on other contracts for a substantial proportion of the duration? Or am I being far too cynical?

    Reply
  4. Rolivan says:
    12 years ago

    Could somebody ask Andrew Renault at the Highways who is footing the bill is it The Council or Government as it is an A Road or will the Council have to foot the bill because the problem is with the Arches rather than the Road?

    Reply
  5. Rolivan says:
    12 years ago

    Could somebody ask Andrew Renault at the Highways who is footing the bill is it The Council or Government as it is an A Road or will the Council have to foot the bill because the problem is with the Arches rather than the Road?

    Reply
  6. Rolivan says:
    12 years ago

    Could somebody ask Andrew Renault at the Highways who is footing the bill is it The Council or Government as it is an A Road or will the Council have to foot the bill because the problem is with the Arches rather than the Road?

    Reply
  7. feline1 says:
    12 years ago

    the taxpayer is footing the bill, as always

    Reply
  8. feline1 says:
    12 years ago

    the taxpayer is footing the bill, as always

    Reply
  9. Hayden cheyne says:
    12 years ago

    Getting REALLY sick of the greens. If they hadn’t WANTED millions of pounds making every road in Brighton 20mph, which I haven to ad has been as successful as an inflatable dartboard as no one wanted it, nobody abides to it and police refuse to enforce it,they would have the money to have fixed this a lot sooner!! Wouldn’t be so bad if it had not been for another one of their “fantastic” ideas of changing the major connection at Brighton station and diverting all traffic to… The seafront! They have stupidly cut brighton in half and ground it to a standstill.. still we have plenty of ridiculous cycle lanes that stop suddenly, cross major roads and carry on for 5 yards then cross back over again. Not sure who is worse.. Greens or Torys!

    Reply
  10. Hayden cheyne says:
    12 years ago

    Getting REALLY sick of the greens. If they hadn’t WANTED millions of pounds making every road in Brighton 20mph, which I haven to ad has been as successful as an inflatable dartboard as no one wanted it, nobody abides to it and police refuse to enforce it,they would have the money to have fixed this a lot sooner!! Wouldn’t be so bad if it had not been for another one of their “fantastic” ideas of changing the major connection at Brighton station and diverting all traffic to… The seafront! They have stupidly cut brighton in half and ground it to a standstill.. still we have plenty of ridiculous cycle lanes that stop suddenly, cross major roads and carry on for 5 yards then cross back over again. Not sure who is worse.. Greens or Torys!

    Reply
  11. Hayden cheyne says:
    12 years ago

    Getting REALLY sick of the greens. If they hadn’t WANTED millions of pounds making every road in Brighton 20mph, which I haven to ad has been as successful as an inflatable dartboard as no one wanted it, nobody abides to it and police refuse to enforce it,they would have the money to have fixed this a lot sooner!! Wouldn’t be so bad if it had not been for another one of their “fantastic” ideas of changing the major connection at Brighton station and diverting all traffic to… The seafront! They have stupidly cut brighton in half and ground it to a standstill.. still we have plenty of ridiculous cycle lanes that stop suddenly, cross major roads and carry on for 5 yards then cross back over again. Not sure who is worse.. Greens or Torys!

    Reply
  12. Hayden cheyne says:
    12 years ago

    The above is why you should never reply on a phone with auto correct! Grr

    Reply
  13. Hayden cheyne says:
    12 years ago

    The above is why you should never reply on a phone with auto correct! Grr

    Reply
  14. Hayden cheyne says:
    12 years ago

    The above is why you should never reply on a phone with auto correct! Grr

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Man charged with raping woman on Brighton beach

Developer plans 12-storey block of co-living flats

Brighton seafront roadworks to continue until November

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

Two men appear in court charged with murder in Brighton

1,500 homes without water

Where should new homes be built in Brighton and Hove?

Brighton woman charged after pro-Palestine protest in London

Care provider chosen to run council’s £6m new supported living scheme

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
PREVIEW: The Covetousness  – Brighton Fringe

REVIEW: Jinkun Chinese Arts’ The Covetousness and Chunxiang’s Schoolroom Prank

19 May 2026
Ballet Central hits Brighton

Ballet Central hits Brighton

19 May 2026
Olly Alexander, Goodbye To Berlin, Charleston Festival, Monday 25th May 2026

Olly Alexander Explore Christopher Isherwood

19 May 2026
Irvine Welsh Men In Love, Charleston Festival, May 23rd

Irvine Welsh updates Trainspotting

19 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
August 2014
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
  • Prolific shoplifter jailed after she stole goods worth £2k 18 May 2026
  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
  • Thatched roof catches fire 14 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News