Roadworks on Brighton seafront caused by the partial collapse of the Fortune of War arches will now continue until November.
King’s Road has been partly closed at the bottom of West Street since Friday, 25 April when a hole appeared in the road.
Engineers initially hoped to have the road open again in eight weeks, then by September – but today, the council announced it had been delayed once more after investigations revealed the problems were not confined to just one arch.
Andrew Renaut, interim head of highways engineering and projects, said: “I really understand people’s frustration with the length of time this project is taking.
“Unfortunately the work is more complex than we expected and we are working really hard with our contractors and the property owners to design and build a safe solution.”
A council spokeswoman said: “Since the original collapse of we’ve been working really hard with our contractors and the property owners on all the separate issues that have now been identified under the road.
“These individual problems are linked to previous internal alterations. Before any actual re-construction can be done, it is essential that we help them design and check all of the work that needs to be done to ensure that it is safe and that it will not affect any other arches nearby as they are all joined together.
“Unfortunately, this work is proving to be more complicated than expected but we need to be able to agree a safe solution to the problems, and we’ll keep everybody updated.
“We understand some people’s concern and frustration about the months that have passed since the first incident, but by getting the design right we are confident that these locations will stay standing and be able to operate as business premises and seafront attractions for another 120 years.”