• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Arts and Culture

Brighton’s curry houses plead with council to back their Curry Capital bid

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 18 Sep, 2014 at 11:34AM
A A
3

A thali from Indian Summer

Brighton curry restaurants have pleaded with the city council to do more to promote their entry in this year’s Curry Capital of Britain contest.

A thali from Indian Summer
A thali from Indian Summer

Brighton and Hove has been shortlisted in the contest for the second time running, competing against curry strongholds in the north and midlands – and outside London is the only southern town or city in the running.

Indian Summer, Chilli Pickle, Bombay India and Ashoka are representing the city in the contest, and will be rated by a panel of judges ahead of the prize being awarded in October.

But other than one tweet sent yesterday morning from Visit Brighton’s @Love_Brighton account, Brighton and Hove City Council has so far been less than vocal in its support for the bid.

George Shaw, the owner of restaurant PR specialist Avocado Media, which represents Indian Summer said: “The council doesn’t seem to share the same enthusiasm for the awards as other local authorities.

“This is a great shame, because the city has some fabulous Asian restaurants that rival the best in London, which serve fantastic authentic cooking from the region, but with a modern Brighton twist.

“Other cities may have more ethnic restaurants, but they are dominated by “me too” curry houses, where the origins of their chefs tend to lie in just two provincial cities in Pakistan and Bangladesh.

“They tend to serve near identical menus, serving erstaz, fiery and oil laded curries, which the chefs would never dream of serving in their own homes.

“Brighton restaurant owners are pioneering the move away from the fast-food mentality of the curry house industry, toward genuine, subtle, wholesome and healthy – it would be great if the council would get behind them and back the bid.”

BHCC’s chair of economic development and culture, Geoffrey Bowden said: “This is more great news for the city’s eateries which we view as a major part of our year-round visitor attractions.

“The council’s marketing tourism unit, VisitBrighton, is working with the competition organisers on a promotional blog and is tweeting details of the competition to its 18,600+ followers to spread the word and encourage more people to vote for our brilliant curry restaurants.”

The judges can still be influenced by a public vote – to show your support, email vote@fedrest.com

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 3

  1. feline1 says:
    12 years ago

    “Other cities may have more ethnic restaurants, but they are dominated by “me too” curry houses, where the origins of their chefs tend to lie in just two provincial cities in Pakistan and Bangladesh.” – that’s so racist!!

    Also – no mention of Zamdani in Hove, or the Nishat takeaway on Preston Street? MADNESS!

    Reply
    • Richard Neville says:
      11 years ago

      There’s nothing racist in that statement. The unthinking knee jerk reaction to thinking that any negative comment concerning ethnicity is automatically racist, is why systematic abuse of under age girls in Rotherham by men of Pakistani origin was ignored for years by the police and local authority.

      Reply
  2. Mark Wick says:
    12 years ago

    An there are some fab Thai curries to be had in the City. Especially at Giggling Squid

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Brighton’s curry houses plead with council to back their Curry Capital bid

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
September 2014
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News