• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton and Hove’s main train operator wins national ‘passenger’ award

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 24 Sep, 2014 at 4:12PM
A A
0
Signalling issues bring Brighton mainline to a halt

Brighton and Hove’s main train operator Southern has picked up two prizes at the National Rail Awards.

It came first in the Putting Passengers First category and won the Outstanding Personal Contribution award.

The train company was also highly commended in four categories.

Matt Lenton
Matt Lenton

Southern’s new smartcard The Key helped it win the Putting Passengers First category in a joint entry with its partner in the project, Cubic Transportation Systems.

Southern’s commercial director Alex Foulds said: “Putting passengers first is what we are all about so to win this category is especially pleasing.

“I’m incredibly proud that the work our smartcard project team and our partners Cubic have put into making the Key smartcard happen has been recognised with this great win.

“The work they have put in is benefiting our passengers now and will benefit passengers in the rest of the south east who will enjoy smartcards in the future, based on their work.”

Southern said: “The Key has achieved industry first after industry first, most notable of which was the integration of the Key smartcard system with London’s Oyster readers.”

Last week it also became possible to buy a Travelcard on the Key.

The judges couldn’t decide on a clear winner of the Outstanding Personal Contribution category so they awarded it jointly to two Southern staff.

One of the joint winners was Southern Rail Neighbourhood Officer Matt Lenton. He was nominated because of the care and compassion he showed when helping a suicidal person at Hassocks Station.

Despite being off-duty, he spent hours talking to the individual, took him for a cup of tea and gave him his number should he need to talk further.

The suicidal man wrote to Southern to explain how Mr Lenton had helped him and changed his outlook on life.

Brighton Station interior pre-makover
Brighton Station – before the most recent makeover

The other joint winner was Southern train carer Peter Harding who works at the company’s Eastbourne depot.

Southern was also highly commended in four categories, with Brighton Station recognised in the Large Station of the Year category and Hassocks in Medium Station of the Year.

The introduction of a new fleet of trains was recognised in the Project of the Year category and Southern driver line manager Clare Williams in the Outstanding Personal Contribution (Management) category.

Southern was also a finalist in the Project of the Year category for the new platform 7 construction project at Gatwick Airport Station.

And the company was a finalist in the Putting Passengers First category for the communications campaign for the Christmas 2013 blockades on the Brighton main line.

Mr Foulds said: “Not everyone can win but it’s great that the work done behind the scenes by individuals and teams has been recognised with commendations and finalist spots.

“These industry awards are hard won and this recognition is another reminder of the great business we have built and the great people we have to support it, providing the very best service for our passengers.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Brighton and Hove’s main train operator wins national ‘passenger’ award

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Load More
September 2014
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News