• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Ofsted accused of marking down Brighton and Hove schools despite evidence of good performance

by Frank le Duc
Monday 13 Oct, 2014 at 4:47PM
A A
0

Inspectors from the watchdog Ofsted have been accused of marking down Brighton and Hove schools despite evidence of good performance.

Concerns were highlighted over two schools with at least one other thought to have been adversely affected by inspectors going in with their minds seemingly made up.

The problem was raised at a Brighton and Hove City Council meeting at Hove Town Hall this afternoon (Monday 13 October) at a Children and Young People Committee meeting.

A parent governor Amanda Mortensen, who is also a co-opted member of the Children and Young People Committee, highlighted the issue.

She said that when Ofsted visited Westdene Primary School in Brighton the inspectors appeared to have already made up their minds.

It seemed that nothing that anyone at the school could say or do would persuade them from marking it down, she said.

For example, they refused to take into account up-to-date SATS results. These were better than the ones that the imspectors relied on in forming their judgment.

Westdene’s key stage 2 results comfortably exceeded the government’s “floor standards”.

Her remarks came after Hilary Ferries, the council’s head of standards and achievement, presented an update on recent Oftsed verdicts.

The watchdog raised the standard required in schools in the past academic year. As a result some schools previously regarded as good are now likely to be classed as requiring improvement.

The committee was told that St Nicolas CE Primary School in Portslade had been graded as requiring improvement.

When it had a monitoring visit, it appeared to be on track to be classed as good. Its key stage 2 results were comfortably above the government’s “floor standards”.

But when Ofsted returned the watchdog found that it required improvement to the surprise of those running the school.

Another local school to have outperformed local and national averages – the Bilingual Primary School – was also classed as requiring improvement by Ofsted.

In a presentation to parents after the watchdog’s report was published, the school highlighted flaws in the inspection.

It assured parents that it was aiming to improve but said that it would do the same whatever grade it had been awarded.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

Sussex Police officer denies child sex offences and perverting justice

Ofsted accused of marking down Brighton and Hove schools despite evidence of good performance

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

New bus route to start next month

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

21 May 2026
Bound By The Wind, Rotunda Bubble, May 24-25th 2026

Bound By The Wind Brings The Story of Mulan

21 May 2026
Godz, Head First Acrobats, Brighton Fringe, May 2026

Godz Of Brighton Fringe

21 May 2026
Darling, Brighton Fringe, May 20th 2026

Review: Darling

21 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
October 2014
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News