• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Labour to select third Moulsecoomb and Bevendean candidate tomorrow

by Frank le Duc
Friday 24 Oct, 2014 at 6:24PM
A A
0
Labour to select third Moulsecoomb and Bevendean candidate tomorrow

The Labour Party is to select a candidate to replace Councillor Leigh Farrow in Moulsecoomb and Bevendean ward at a meeting tomorrow morning (Saturday 25 October).

Councillor Farrow, 59, has been deselected and the Moulsecoomb and Bevendean Branch Labour Party is currently suspended.

As a result the branch chairman Robert Brown will not be chairing the selection meeting which starts at 11am at St George’s Hall in Newick Road, Moulsecoomb.

Councillor Leigh Farrow
Councillor Leigh Farrow

His place will be taken by Laurence O’Connor, a member of Meridian Branch Labour Party which serves Peacehaven, Telscombe Cliffs and East Saltdean.

Local party members have been told that they may attend the selection meeting even though their branch is suspended.

They have also been told that, if necessary, members of the Brighton, Hove and District Labour Party Executive Committee will choose the candidate.

Councillor Farrow was banned from standing in May next year for one of the ward’s three seats – currently all held by Labour – after a disciplinary process ended last month. This process was handled by the regional party.

It upheld claims that Councillor Farrow had sworn at his colleague Councillor Chaun Wilson before a meeting of the Brighton and Hove City Council Housing Committee at Hove Town Hall in June.

Councillor Farrow maintains that he did not swear at Councillor Wilson but in her presence. It is not the first time that his manner has been the subject of a complaint.

Daniel Yates
Daniel Yates

Branch party members were not due to be told who the potential candidates are for the Moulsecoomb and Bevendean vacancy until arriving at the meeting tomorrow.

But, according to the Brighton and Hove Independent, they were due to be local writer Dan Wilson and NHS manager and physiotherapist Daniel Yates.

Mr Yates stood as a parliamentary candidate in East Worthing and Shoreham in 2001 and 2005 where Tim Loughton is the Conservative MP.

He was also, the Independent said, a prime mover behind the creation of the citywide Brighton, Hove and District Labour Party in 2012. It was formed from a merger of the three separate constituency parties.

His chances look better because Mr Wilson has withdrawn from the selection contest for one of Labour’s safest seats in Brighton and Hove.

He said on Twitter: “Sadly I couldn’t face the toxic whirlpool of recrimination surrounding M&B.”

And he also said: “Executive, cllrs, members, others. Noone is blameless. Residents lose. V sad.”

@GregHadfield @EastonNicky @jastilley @danieljyates @hfitch91 Sadly I couldn’t face the toxic whirlpool of recrimination surrounding M&B.

— Dan Wilson (@wilsondan) October 22, 2014

@EastonNicky @GregHadfield @jastilley @danieljyates @hfitch91 Executive, cllrs, members, others. Noone is blameless. Residents lose. V sad.

— Dan Wilson (@wilsondan) October 22, 2014


The situation in Moulsecoomb and Bevendean was discussed at a meeting of the citywide Labour Party on Wednesday (22 October).

The Independent reported that about 70 of the local party’s 1,500 members attended the meeting in the Dorset Gardens Methodist Church in Brighton.

The meeting went into “closed session” to discuss Moulsecoomb and Bevendean to try to prevent further leaks.

One of the reasons given for the suspension of the Moulsecoomb and Bevendean Branch Labour Party was “a series of leaks of confidential internal Labour Party information and communications from the branch to the local media”.

The other was “that despite advice to the contrary, the branch met and commented publically (sic) on a matter relating to an outstanding local government appeal”.

Members were told that the branch was likely to remain suspended until December and the end of an investigation that was being set up by regional director Malcolm Powers.

The Independent said that Mr Powers had yet to write to members outlining what form any investigation into the branch would take.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Labour to select third Moulsecoomb and Bevendean candidate tomorrow

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
October 2014
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News