• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Watchdog criticises Brighton and Hove council and campaigners over 20mph claims

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 12 Nov, 2014 at 8:06PM
A A
1
Watchdog criticises Brighton and Hove council and campaigners over 20mph claims

The advertising watchdog has criticised Brighton and Hove City Council and campaigners opposed to 20mph speed limits for making misleading and unsupported claims.

Two separate rulings by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) were published today (Wednesday 12 November) telling both sides that their adverts should not be used again in the same form.

The watchdog upheld three out of six complaints about a leaflet published by the council as part of a consultation. The complaints were made by Unchain the Brighton Motorist.

The ASA said: “The ad must not appear again in its current form. We told Brighton and Hove City Council to ensure future ads did not make specific claims about the benefits of the scheme unless they held evidence to support them.”

The watchdog said: “Because the claims were so definitely worded but the evidence was not conclusive, we concluded that they had not been substantiated and were misleading.”

The claims were that a 20mph limit would

  • encourage more walking and cycling for local trips
  • bring significant health benefits
  • reduce congestion

The watchdog also considered four complaints about a newspaper advert published by Unchain the Brighton Motorist.

It said: “The number of casualties on 20mph roads in Great Britain rose by 20 per cent in 2013, recent government figures show.

“A total of 437 people were seriously injured and 2,721 slightly injured in 2013 compared with 339 and 2,286 in 2012.

“However, the number of deaths in 2013 was six compared to nine in 2012.

“The number of all casualties rose from 2,634 in 2012 to 3,164 in 2013, which is a 20 per cent increase in one year.

“The number of injuries on roads with 30mph and 40mph speed limits decreased in 2013.

“Why has the number of casualties risen in roads where the 20mph limit is supposed to increase safety?”

The council, the campaign group Bricycles and two members of the public complained to the ASA.

The watchdog said: “The complainants, who understood there had been an increase in the number of roads with a 20mph speed limit during 2013, challenged whether the ad was misleading.

“We considered the presentation of the claims was such that it misleadingly suggested the government statistics had determined there to be a direct relationship between a 20mph speed limit itself and the increased number of casualties on those roads.

“The ad must not appear again in its current form.

“We told Unchain the Brighton Motorist to ensure they did not make claims, including implied claims, about the relationship between speed limits and casualties in future if they were not in a position to substantiate them.”

Read the ASA rulings here and here.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Vernon Stains says:
    12 years ago

    Brighton Green Council lied about the benefits of 20mph speed limit.

    In other breaking news, bears discovered to be shi*ting in woods…

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Watchdog criticises Brighton and Hove council and campaigners over 20mph claims

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
November 2014
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News