Hove fire started by reflection of sun’s rays

Posted On 25 Apr 2015 at 4:54 pm

A fire in Hove is believed to have started as a result of the reflection of the sun’s rays.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said that fire crews were called to a property in Wilbury Road, Hove, shortly before 5.15pm on Thursday (23 April).

The alarm was raised after a report of a fire alarm sounding and a burning smell.

Two fire engines were sent from Hove and the aerial ladder platform from Preston Circus.

A small fire had damaged the curtains at the property and was found to be out when the fire crews arrived.

They used a high-powered fan to clear the smoke.

The fire service said: “The fire is believed to have been started by the reflection of the sun’s rays from an object in the room on to the curtains.”

People were urged to store items carefully and away from the sun’s rays if they had reflective or focusing properties, including mirrors, glasses, paperweights, magnifying glasses and some plastic items.

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.