More travellers pitch up on St Helen’s Green in Hangleton

Posted On 24 May 2015 at 6:56 pm

More travellers have set up camp on St Helen’s Green in Hangleton, a day after a first group arrived.

The first group drove on to the green at about 10.45pm on Friday (22 May).

Councillor Dawn Barnett, who represents Hangleton and Knoll on Brighton and Hove City Council, said: “The council will do nothing even though the only place have to go to the loo is in full view of everyone.

“The council say that they will be clean and not cause a problem.”

The site has previously been regarded as sensitive and travellers have been moved on promptly. Changes were made to prevent incursions in nearby Greenleas.

The council’s website had not been updated over the weekend to reflect the current position.

It listed details of other unauthorised camps as of Friday (22 May). The update said: “Hollingbury Park – Unauthorised encampment of Irish travellers – We have visited this site with the police and a community impact assessment was carried out.

“The families have been informed they are trespassing on council-owned land and have been asked to leave.

“We successfully applied for a possession order for this land in the county court on Friday 22 May. This has enabled us to arrange for an eviction to take place early next week.

“While the encampment remains we will continue to monitor the site with the police.

“BMX site, Sheepcote Valley, and land adjacent to Racehill allotments, Wilson Avenue – Unauthorised encampments of van dwellers – We have visited both sites with the police and community impact assessments were carried out.

“The occupants have been informed they are trespassing on council-owned land and have been asked to leave.

“We will be applying to the county court for a possession order on Thursday 28 May.

“This order will cover both encampments and once granted will enable us to carry out an eviction early the following week.

“While the encampment remains we will continue to monitor the site with the police.

“Warren Road, land adjacent to the stables – Unauthorised encampment of van dwellers – We have visited this site with the police and a community impact assessment has been carried out.

“The occupants have been informed they are trespassing on council-owned land and have been asked to leave.

“We successfully applied to the magistrates’ court on Wednesday 20 May for a court order in respect of the remaining vehicles.

“Evictions will be arranged next week for any vehicles that fail to leave as directed.”

  1. paul Reply

    Typical police and council pandering to the travellers,if local people drove their cars on the green or urinated in public they would be fined.

  2. Gerald Wiley Reply

    Perhaps when they are evicted, their vehicles could be checked to ensure they have MOTs. Vehicle Excise Duty, and insurance and the drivers have valid Driving Licence as well?

    But, I suppose doing so would not be ‘fair’ as they are a minority who apparently suffer much discrimination.

  3. feline1 Reply

    “**Councillor** Dawn Barnett, who represents Hangleton and Knoll on ***Brighton and Hove City Council***, said: “The **council*** will do nothing…”

    Luv, if you’re that ineffectual why don’t you resign? Or are the expenses too nice?

  4. Gerald Wiley Reply

    Well, the travellers have moved on, but as usual they have left loads of rubbish behind. But as the council’s policy on travellers states, many people leave rubbish behind, so what is different to the travellers?

    And I wonder who will be picking up the tab for clearing up the rubbish? But, what the heck, we all have to value “cultural diversity” of minorities these days, and just ‘bite out lips’ to avoid appearing racist!

    Could these travellers now be the ones that are apparently taken up residence at the Lawn Memorial Cemetery in Warren Road, Woodingdean according to The Argus?

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.