• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
24 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Madeira Terrace in top ten most endangered buildings list

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 16 Sep, 2015 at 9:56AM
A A
0
Brighton seafront study wins national praise

Madeira terraces fenced off. Picture by Ken Frost

Madeira Terrace is one of the ten most endangered buildings in Britain, the Victorian Society said today (Wednesday 16 September).

The society said: “Brighton council has stated that it must entirely replace what has been said to be the world’s longest cast iron structure.

“The society urges the council to make its survey public and to retain as much of the original structure as possible.

Madeira terraces fenced off. Picture by Ken Frost
Madeira terraces fenced off. Picture by Ken Frost

“The national exposure from inclusion in the society’s ‘top ten’ often leads to new interest in the buildings which can help save them.

“The 2,837ft long Madeira Terrace has been said to the longest continuous cast iron structure in Britain or even the world.

“Although the seafront is an integral part of Brighton, the entire length of the structure was recently closed and businesses forced to leave because of the risk of collapse.

“Brighton council has stated that repairs cannot be made and a ‘like for like’ replacement is required.

Madeira Drive. Image from Google Streetview
Madeira Drive. Image from Google Streetview

“It seems unlikely that nothing from the entire length of the terrace can be repaired or salvaged.

“The society has submitted a Freedom of Information request for a copy of the survey but believes that Brighton council should make it public immediately to ensure that as much of this historic structure as possible is preserved.”

Councillor Gill Mitchell told the BBC this morning that a copy of the report survey had been given to the society and that the council was sending it follow-up information as requested.

Victorian Society director Christopher Costelloe said: “We’re grateful to everyone who nominated Madeira Terrace.

“Like all the buildings included in this year’s ‘top ten’, Madeira Terrace is a listed building, meaning that the government has recognised its national importance.

“What is the seaside without a promenade?

Madeira Terraces railings

“I urge the public to share the ‘top ten’ list … to help ensure as much of Madeira Terrace as possible is preserved for future generations.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

New bus route to start next month

Former Brighton teacher awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Madeira Terrace in top ten most endangered buildings list

Phone-free restaurant finds permanent home

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone

Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone vs direction

23 May 2026
We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

23 May 2026
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Lantern Theatre, Brighton Fringe, May 22&23rd 2026

Review: Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Welbeck double sinks Liverpool at Brighton and Hove Albion

Welbeck deserves a World Cup place, says Brighton and Hove Albion boss

by PA sport staff
23 May 2026
0

Danny Welbeck deserves a place in the England World Cup squad, according to Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Fabian...

Sussex Sharks open T20 Blast with a win

Sussex off to a winning start in the Blast

by Martin Smith - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 May 2026
0

Essex 191-5 (20 overs) Sussex Sharks 192-4 (16 overs) Sussex Sharks win by 6 wickets John Simpson hurried Sussex Sharks...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Load More
September 2015
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Former assistant head awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13 23 May 2026
  • Biggest hospital in Sussex marks two key milestones 22 May 2026
  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News