• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
24 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton and Hove bus use on the up after first fall in passengers in 20 years

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 21 Oct, 2015 at 3:03PM
A A
2
Park and ride at Preston Barracks and lorry emissions zone proposed to improve air quality

Bus use in Brighton and Hove is rallying again after last year’s dip in passenger numbers – the first time trips fell in 20 years.

Buses in North Street. Picture by Matt Davis on FlickrRoadworks, staff shortages and unreliable live bus timetables were blamed for a 3% fall in the number of journeys fell in 2014/15, bucking the usual trend of a 3% rise.

But more staff, an updated real time information and the conclusion of all the city’s major roadworks means the bus company is seeing signs more people are using buses once again.

The news was reported at last week’s Buswatch meeting at Brighton Town Hall. Chair Andrew Boag said: “During the period there were a series of roadworks which created major delays to bus services. These included the Vogue gyratory, Brighton Station, Edward Street and North Street.

“The main bus company also suffered from staff shortages which exacerbated the delays because some buses were cancelled while others were being held up. On top of that the real time information system was being updated so electronic displays were often unreliable or missing completely. The overall effect was to undermine confidence in our bus service and people voted with their feet.

“Lessons need to be learnt from this experience. The top priority for the Council must be to give more attention to keeping buses moving during traffic schemes.

“There are some promising signs here as the city council has been in discussion with bus companies on ways of mitigating the impact of future roadworks. The major Valley Gardens project due to begin in the coming months will be the first test of this strategy.

We are told Brighton and Hove Buses has reduced its staff shortage and buses are no longer being cancelled regularly for that reason.

“The real time information system has improved in recent weeks is at last becoming reliable again. Some bus services which suffered from poor reliability have been re-timetabled.

“It is particularly encouraging to see that bus companies are not reacting to the fall in numbers by reducing service levels; instead they are investing in anticipation of future growth.

“So the overall outlook is much brighter and with fewer roadworks planned for this year there are already some signs more people are using buses again, especially on those routes that have been improved.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Gerald Wiley says:
    11 years ago

    It’s good to hear from the bus fan club, but how much did bus travel increase last year?

    And how much of the drop in bus travel is a result of the high fares and slow journeys as the ever increasing number of buses queue through the centre of Brighton?

    It is now generally cheaper, faster, and more convenient to drive to other towns in the area rather than attempt to bus into Brighton, or even worse to go to somewhere else via the centre of Brighton (aka the extended bus station).

    It would be a lot better is Buswatch actually represented bus users rather than seemingly be a tame PR agency.

    Reply
  2. Brighton Area Buswatch says:
    11 years ago

    Bus use fell from 45.8 million journeys to 44.4 million journeys in the year to March 2015 according to figures released by the Department for Transport. Buswatch is simply reporting the facts, we are certainly not a ‘tame PR agency’, as you imply. Our October newsletter includes a 20 point plan for improving bus services and getting more people on buses, which is what we are all about. More people travelling by bus means fewer cars clogging our congested streets so everyone gets through quicker.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Former Brighton teacher awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

Phone-free restaurant finds permanent home

Brighton and Hove bus use on the up after first fall in passengers in 20 years

New bus route to start next month

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Opposition overlooked and left in the dark, says councillor

Hospital marks £860m project’s helipad and cancer milestones

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone

Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone vs direction

23 May 2026
We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

23 May 2026
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Lantern Theatre, Brighton Fringe, May 22&23rd 2026

Review: Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Welbeck double sinks Liverpool at Brighton and Hove Albion

Welbeck deserves a World Cup place, says Brighton and Hove Albion boss

by PA sport staff
23 May 2026
0

Danny Welbeck deserves a place in the England World Cup squad, according to Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Fabian...

Sussex Sharks open T20 Blast with a win

Sussex off to a winning start in the Blast

by Martin Smith - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 May 2026
0

Essex 191-5 (20 overs) Sussex Sharks 192-4 (16 overs) Sussex Sharks win by 6 wickets John Simpson hurried Sussex Sharks...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Load More
October 2015
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Former assistant head awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13 23 May 2026
  • Biggest hospital in Sussex marks two key milestones 22 May 2026
  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News