• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Fire authority for Brighton and Hove puts up council tax by just under 2 per cent

by Frank le Duc
Sunday 14 Feb, 2016 at 6:33PM
A A
1
Fire authority for Brighton and Hove puts up council tax by just under 2 per cent

The fire authority serving Brighton and Hove has agreed to raise council tax by just under 1.94 per cent in the financial year starting in April.

Members of East Sussex Fire Authority agreed the rise on Thursday (11 February) as it set its £38.4 million budget for the coming year.

The fire authority said: “The increase means band D council tax will increase by just 3p per week to £86.72 a year.

Councillor Philip Howson
Councillor Philip Howson

“The authority has achieved a sound financial base in difficult times, with good progress made in identifying and delivering savings.

“Funding from central government is still being reduced and the authority has plans to deliver agreed savings of £1.9 million in 2016-17.

“However, increasing council tax by 1.94 per cent will enable the authority to balance the budget and ensure it is sustainable for the future as we continue our work to make our communities safer.”

Council tax is one of the three main sources of income for the fire authority. It accounts for 65 per cent, with business rates contributing 19 per cent and government grant making up the remaining 16 per cent.

Almost three quarters of the budget is spent on staff, with a quarter paying for the day-to-day running costs.

Six of the 18 members of the authority are Brighton and Hove City Council members. They are Adrian Morris, Jackie O’Quinn and Caroline Penn, all Labour, Green councillor Lizzie Dean and Carol Theobald and Garry Peltzer Dunn for the Conservatives.

Fire authority chairman Phil Howson said: “There is no doubt that the current financial climate has forced us to look again at how we serve our communities and there have been difficult decisions to make but we are confident we have a way forward which secures our financial future.

“We will be focusing on delivering those savings previously identified and working to ensure that public money is spent to the best effect.

“With this in mind the service will be investing in transforming the way we provide our services.

“We are extremely grateful for the support of our communities and remain committed to providing an excellent service that we can all be proud of.

“The fire and rescue service has had notable success in driving down the number of emergencies it needs to attend through our work with the community and local businesses.

“Ongoing projects include ‘safe and well’ visits which provide a more holistic approach to community safety and develop a strong network with our partners throughout the service area.

“This project has seen great success in Mile Oak and we are now rolling the project out across the rest of the county, starting in Wealden.

“This year we are also launching safer business training, free courses which aim to support and educate local business owners about mitigating the dangers surrounding fire and road safety and the impact they can have on their business.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Sean local says:
    10 years ago

    omg

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Fire authority for Brighton and Hove puts up council tax by just under 2 per cent

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
February 2016
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
29  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News