The RMT union has suspended its five-day rail strike for talks with train operator Southern in the dispute over the role of guards.
Southern said that it would have to keep to the strike timetable tomorrow (Thursday 11 August) but on Friday it hoped to operate the emergency timetable that was in place before the strike.
The talks will take place at the arbitration and conciliation service, ACAS, where the two sides met for three days at the end of last week.
The train company said: “We are encouraged that the RMT has accepted our offer to resume talks at ACAS and has agreed to call off its strike action.
“For our passengers sake we truly hope these talks will be productive and bring this long-running dispute to an end.
“At present, the strike timetable is still in the industry train planning systems for Thursday and Friday.
“Regrettably, this means tomorrow’s service will be based upon the present strike timetable but we will do our very best to add services in and extend the hours of operation wherever possible.
“On Friday we plan to revert to the revised timetable operating before the strike. We will update our website www.southernrailway.com as further information becomes available.”
LIKE WHAT WE DO? HELP US TO DO MORE OF IT BY DONATING HERE.