• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Almost 2,000 children in temporary homes in Brighton and Hove

by Frank le Duc
Monday 3 Oct, 2016 at 9:10AM
A A
2
Brighton and Hove housing chiefs agree to review ban on visitors in emergency accommodation

Percival Terrace in Brighton - Picture by Simon Carey / Creative Commons

Almost 2,000 children are in temporary homes in Brighton and Hove, according to figures published by the government.

The number in hostels, bed and breakfasts and emergency and temporary accommodation is far higher in Brighton and Hove City Council than most other parts of the country.

At the end of June 1,938 children were in temporary accommodation locally, with the figure forecast to top 2,000 by Christmas.

One housing campaigner said: “The use of temporary accommodation in Brighton and Hove is (excluding London) 12 times greater than the national average.

“The ending of an assured shorthold tenancy with a private landlord was the most common reason for the loss of the last settled home in the second quarter of 2016.”

Councillor Anne Meadows, who chairs the council’s Housing and New Homes Committee, told BBC Sussex this morning (Monday 3 October): “It’s not ideal.”

She said that 26,000 people were on the council housing waiting list but vacancies were running at about 700 a year.

With too few suitable properties, the alternative was offering mothers with babies or young children homes outside the area which wasn’t a popular option.

According to the figures, published last week by the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG), 130 families were homeless and in priority need.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Rolivan says:
    9 years ago

    Cllr Anne Meadows accused Cllr Joe Miller of playing games at a recent Committee meeting.She should allow the residents of her constituency to play games at Wild Park but chooses others from outside of The City to have preference.

    Reply
  2. Sam for Freedom says:
    9 years ago

    BHCC spends millions on privately run, poor quality (often revolting), “temporary” accommodation provided by unscrupulous private landlords (also known as slum landlords). There are no minimum quality standards for the state of the accommodation other than the safety requirements required for the HMO licence (fire, damp). A fire door can be smeared with excrement, and that is OK as long as it meets the fire safety standard. Most of the millions spent by BHCC housing is as “spot purchasing” – no contracts, no procurement involvement, no benchmarks for value to money for the taxpayer and indefensible for any organisation handling public funds. Wide open to financial impropriety (corruption investigations in BHCC housing are ongoing). In addition, other councils in the South East (e.g. mid-Sussex, Crawley) also house hundreds of “households” in privately run HMOs in the city without any consultation with BHCC. These “placements” also sap B&H resources (community safety etc). A far-reaching enquiry should undertaken (including all the deaths and serious incidents, as well as cosy relationships with private landlords).

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Toilet tax plan to hit those in greatest need, say critics

Parents angry over failings that led to school closure plan

Council plans to close day centre for people with learning disabilities

School building to become temporary charity hub

Almost 2,000 children in temporary homes in Brighton and Hove

Ex-PM sends claims about former prince to Sussex Police

Hospital marks milestone in £62m A&E modernisation

Brighton PC barred from policing for dishonesty

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

by George Sessions - PA
21 February 2026
0

Brentford 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 2 Brighton and Hove Albion marked James Milner’s record-breaking 654th Premier League appearance with...

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

by Frank le Duc
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are to start with four changes at Brentford to the side that lost to Liverpool in...

Hürzeler says Brighton and Hove Albion may need to ‘win ugly’

Brighton and Hove Albion boss urges everyone to stay positive

by PA sport staff
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has urged everyone involved with the club to stay positive despite the side’s...

Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Load More
October 2016
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Driver arrested after man dies in crash late last night 21 February 2026
  • Ex-PM sends memo about former prince to Sussex Police 20 February 2026
  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News