• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Campaign for improved rail compensation succeeds at last

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 13 Oct, 2016 at 11:19AM
A A
0
Double trouble for Brighton train passengers as overrunning engineering works shut line before guards strike

Brighton Station - picture from October 2016

A long-running campaign to boost refunds when trains are delayed has succeeded today with the Government announcement that the threshold for compensation with be slashed from 30 minutes to 15.

Chaos at Brighton Station this morning. Picture by Steve Bassam on Twitter
Chaos at Brighton Station this morning. Picture by Steve Bassam on Twitter

Brighton Pavilion MP Caroline Lucas and Hove MP Peter Kyle have been among those backing Which?’s call for the change to the delay repay scheme for many months, even before the dispute between Southern Rail and the RMT plunged the Brighton line into even more chaos.

However, as the third day of this week’s strike is now underway, commuters won’t yet be able to claim for these smaller delays as the changes won’t come into effect for a few months yet.

Caroline Lucas MP said: “At long last the Government is giving some relief to long suffering passengers on Southern Rail.

“People suffer delays on a daily basis and this scheme will go some way towards compensating them for the constant interruption in their lives. Of course these improvements are only a sticking plaster, and don’t fix the long term problems on the line.

“Both the Government and the train company are responsible for the utter failure. Indeed the way the rail strike has been handled in recent days shows yet again that GTR is not fit for purpose. It’s time to strip them of this franchise, put this railway line in public hands and make Ministers directly accountable.”

Peter Kyle MP said: “Ever since I became an MP, I’ve been trying shift the power away from government and the rail companies and back to the passengers. Passengers are the ones who suffer when things go wrong and who nobody had been listening to up until now. This move is one small step in the right direction.

“I’m really pleased that all my campaigning alongside Which?, as well as the work of the APPG I co-chair and the steadfast campaigning locally has delivered this small victory.”

The Government said the change will be introduced within months on Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) services, including Southern, and then rolled out across the country.

Passengers will be able to claim 25% of the cost of the single fare for delays between 15 and 29 minutes. The existing compensation thresholds will apply for delays from 30 minutes with passengers able to apply for compensation through the train operating company.

Transport Secretary Chris Grayling said: “We recognise that, above all else, passengers want a reliable train service, but when things do go wrong it is vital that they are compensated fairly. Delay Repay 15 is a major improvement for passengers and we are working with train companies to make it as easy as possible for passengers to claim their rightful compensation.

“Together with the Consumer Rights Act, this policy shows we are putting passengers first and making sure they receive due compensation for poor service.”

The existing Delay Repay thresholds are as follows:

50% of the single fare for delays of 30 to 59 minutes

100% of the single fare for delays of 60 minutes or more

100% of the return fare for delays of 2 hours or more

As well as ‘Delay Repay’, the introduction of the Consumer Rights Act on 1 October 2016 strengthened the right of passengers to claim compensation for poor service.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Parents angry over failings that led to school closure plan

Toilet tax plan to hit those in greatest need, say critics

Council plans to close day centre for people with learning disabilities

Ex-PM sends claims about former prince to Sussex Police

Campaign for improved rail compensation succeeds at last

School building to become temporary charity hub

Hospital marks milestone in £62m A&E modernisation

Brighton PC barred from policing for dishonesty

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Bloodworm set to bring their Goth Post-Punk sound back to Brighton

Bloodworm set to bring their Goth Post-Punk sound back to Brighton

22 February 2026
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

by George Sessions - PA
21 February 2026
0

Brentford 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 2 Brighton and Hove Albion marked James Milner’s record-breaking 654th Premier League appearance with...

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

by Frank le Duc
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are to start with four changes at Brentford to the side that lost to Liverpool in...

Hürzeler says Brighton and Hove Albion may need to ‘win ugly’

Brighton and Hove Albion boss urges everyone to stay positive

by PA sport staff
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has urged everyone involved with the club to stay positive despite the side’s...

Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Load More
October 2016
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Driver arrested after man dies in crash late last night 21 February 2026
  • Ex-PM sends memo about former prince to Sussex Police 20 February 2026
  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News