• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
24 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Cup made from aboriginal man’s skull returned to Australia for burial

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 18 Oct, 2016 at 3:33PM
A A
1
Cup made from aboriginal man’s skull returned to Australia for burial

The last piece of ancestral aboriginal remains kept by Brighton Museum has been returned to the Austrialian community it’s believed they were taken from in a special handover ceremony.
aboriginal-remains-2
The skull water vessel and other remains were given to the museum by scientist and collector Frederick William Lucas in November 1925, part of a large group of osteological and ethnographical items he had loaned to the museum in 1922.

In 2008 the council agreed to hand back two skulls and two femora (thigh bones), to the Ngarrindjeri Community of South Australia, from whom historical information suggests they were taken, following a request in 2005 from the Australian Government.

These were handed back at a ceremony outside the museum in May 2009. Later the same month, the council agreed to also return the skull vessel and on Friday it was given back at a special handover ceremony at Australia House in London.

The cup was received by Mr Major Sumner, elder and representative of the Ngarrindjeri Community. The ceremony, organised by the Australian High Commission, was attended by Councilor Alan Robins and museum director Janita Bagshawe.

The Australian High Commission have said: “It is both a symbolic gesture for both parties and an important part of the healing process for the descendants of the ancestors being brought back to their homeland to rest.”

Cllr Robins, chair of the council’s Economic Development and Culture Committee, said: “The city council is very pleased to be in a position to return these remains to their rightful home, and the ceremony was a very special and moving experience.

“The return of the Old Person’s remain is very important to the Ngarrindjeri Community to ensure their ancestors are finally able to rest in peace in their homelands.”

The repatriation is part of an Australian Government programme to assist indigenous communities in pursuing the unconditional return of ancestral remains held in overseas collections and within Australia.

So far, more than 1,000 indigenous Australian ancestral remains have been returned from the United Kingdom to traditional custodians with the support of the Australian Government’s Indigenous Repatriation Program.

The council has received a Handover Certificate, a formal record of the transfer of the remains to the Ngarrindjeri Elders representing their community.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. brad says:
    10 years ago

    how long was it on public view and when?

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

New bus route to start next month

Former Brighton teacher awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Cup made from aboriginal man’s skull returned to Australia for burial

Phone-free restaurant finds permanent home

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone

Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone vs direction

23 May 2026
We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

23 May 2026
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Lantern Theatre, Brighton Fringe, May 22&23rd 2026

Review: Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Welbeck double sinks Liverpool at Brighton and Hove Albion

Welbeck deserves a World Cup place, says Brighton and Hove Albion boss

by PA sport staff
23 May 2026
0

Danny Welbeck deserves a place in the England World Cup squad, according to Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Fabian...

Sussex Sharks open T20 Blast with a win

Sussex off to a winning start in the Blast

by Martin Smith - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 May 2026
0

Essex 191-5 (20 overs) Sussex Sharks 192-4 (16 overs) Sussex Sharks win by 6 wickets John Simpson hurried Sussex Sharks...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Load More
October 2016
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Former assistant head awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13 23 May 2026
  • Biggest hospital in Sussex marks two key milestones 22 May 2026
  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News