A second pre-inquest review was held today (Tuesday 20 June) into the deaths of 11 people who died in the Shoreham air show crash in August 2015.
West Sussex senior coroner Penelope Schofield was given an update on the current investigations by Sussex Police.
The police said that their investigation is 95 per cent complete and a file was being submitted to the Crown Prosecution Service.
The coroner set the date for a third pre-inquest review to take place on Wednesday 24 January at Crawley Coroner’s Court.
She indicated that she would like the full inquest to take place in September 2018.
Ms Schofield said that the inquest may have to be suspended if the CPS decided to bring criminal charges.
She told families at the hearing today that she was in regular contact with the police about their investigation.
She told relatives: “I want to assure you I am satisfied that they are moving forward as quickly as they can in quite difficult circumstances and they are hoping to bring their investigation to a conclusion as quickly as possible.”
The 11 men who died in the air crash were
- Maurice Rex Abrahams, 76 of Brighton
- Dylan Archer, 42 of Brighton
- Anthony David Brightwell, 53 of Hove
- Matthew Grimstone, 23 of Brighton
- Matthew Wesley Jones, 24 of Littlehampton
- James Graham Mallinson, 72 of Newick
- Daniele Gaetano Polito, 23 of Goring by Sea
- Mark Alexander Reeves, 53 of Seaford
- Jacob Henry Schilt, 23 of Brighton
- Richard Jonathan Smith, 26 of Hove
- Mark James Trussler, 54 of Worthing
They were killed when a Hawker Hunter jet crashed during a display at the Shoreham air show on Saturday 22 August 2015.