• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Grenfell Tower cladding has not been used on Brighton council tower blocks

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 22 Jun, 2017 at 12:58PM
A A
5
Brighton and Hove property professionals aim to raise £10k for Grenfell Tower fire survivors

Grenfell Tower

The cladding used on Grenfell Tower has not been used on any high-rise blocks of flats owned by Brighton and Hove City Council.

The council said: “We can confirm that none of the cladding on local council high-rise blocks is made from the same material, or supplied by the same company, as the cladding on Grenfell Tower.”

Local authorities were ordered to carry out urgent checks and to reassure the public after the cladding on Grenfell Tower was widely blamed for the rapid spread of the deadly fire last week.

The council said: “Brighton and Hove City Council owns 43 high-rise buildings in the city.

“Twenty high-rise blocks have full cladding. A further three high-rise blocks have some form of cladding mostly on the side.

“We can confirm that none of the cladding on local council high-rise blocks is made from the same material, or supplied by the same company, as the cladding on Grenfell Tower.”

In a statement to the House of Commons this morning (Thursday 22 June) the Prime Minister Theresa May said: “For too long residents have been overlooked and ignored. We will ensure that they are involved in every step of this process.

“No stone will be left unturned in this inquiry and there will be nowhere for any guilty parties to hide.

“I am clear that we cannot wait for ages to learn the immediate lessons so I expect that the chair of the inquiry will want to produce an interim report as early as possible.

“I know that many others living in tall residential buildings will have concerns about their safety after what happened at Grenfell.

“All social landlords have been instructed to carry out additional fire safety checks on tower blocks and to ensure that the appropriate safety and response measures are in place. This is being done in co-operation with local fire and rescue services.

“We have also taken steps to make private landlords aware and have made our checking facilities available to them for free.

“The House should of course be careful when it comes to speculating about what caused the fire but the government have arranged to test cladding in all relevant tower blocks as a precaution.

“Shortly before I came to the Chamber, I was informed that a number of these tests have come back as combustible.

“The relevant local authorities and local fire services have been informed.

“As I speak, they are taking all possible steps to ensure that buildings are safe and to inform affected residents.

“Immediately after this statement, the Department for Communities and Local Government will contact any MPs whose constituents are affected and the Communities Secretary will provide a further update later today.

“We can test more than 100 buildings a day and the results come within hours.

“I urge any landlord who owns a building of this kind to send samples for testing as soon as possible.

“Any results will be communicated immediately to local authorities and local fire services.

“Landlords have a legal obligation to provide safe buildings. Where they cannot do that, we expect alternative accommodation to be provided.

“We cannot and will not ask people to live in unsafe homes.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 5

  1. janet davidson says:
    9 years ago

    Shame 2 of their blocks in Hove have no sprinklers or smoke detectors in the corridors and the council are aware of this????

    Reply
  2. Professor Robert Powell says:
    9 years ago

    What about private tower blocks in the city e.g. Brighton Marina Development?

    Reply
    • Laila Kadiwal says:
      9 years ago

      Hi, did you find the answer? we live in the Boardwalk

      Reply
  3. Barry says:
    9 years ago

    Essex place has plastic on the outside and the fire on the 11th floor set fire to the flat on 12th floor a few months ago if this fire had started on the ground floor how far could it have spread

    Reply
  4. Rene says:
    9 years ago

    Does anyone know more about the plans/materials for the exterior renovation of Bedford Towers?

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

Sussex Police officer denies child sex offences and perverting justice

Grenfell Tower cladding has not been used on Brighton council tower blocks

New bus route to start next month

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

21 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

21 May 2026
Bound By The Wind, Rotunda Bubble, May 24-25th 2026

Bound By The Wind Brings The Story of Mulan

21 May 2026
Godz, Head First Acrobats, Brighton Fringe, May 2026

Godz Of Brighton Fringe

21 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
June 2017
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News