• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Hove

Sussex pick new skipper for rest of county championship season

by Frank le Duc
Friday 23 Jun, 2017 at 1:37PM
A A
0
Sussex pick new skipper for rest of county championship season

Ben Brown

Sussex County Cricket Club announced that Ben Brown would captain the side for the rest of the county championship season today (Friday 23 June).

Brown hopes that Sussex will challenge for promotion in their remaining eight fixtures, with their next match, against Gloucestershire, due to start at Hove on Monday (26 June).

The 28-year-old wicketkeeper first joined Sussex as an 11-year-old. He led the side last season when Luke Wright, his predecessor, was injured and is stepping up from his role as vice-captain.

He said: “For someone who has been associated with Sussex for so long, being appointed as captain is a very proud moment for me.

“I enjoyed the challenge of captaining the side last season but I feel in the last 12 months that the team has grown with a good core of senior players.

“Of course, I have my own ideas about how I want to lead the side but I also know there are some very solid cricketers in our dressing room who can give me support and advice if I need it.

“It’s an exciting time. We have eight Championship games left but we go into Monday’s match against Gloucestershire with some real momentum.

“If we keep playing as we have in recent weeks, the table will take care of itself and we can challenge for promotion.”

Head coach Mark Davis said: “As our vice-captain and a key senior member of the team, we’re delighted Ben has agreed to take over as skipper. He learned a lot last season when he led the side when Luke Wright was injured and he will be a better captain for that experience.

“He will do the job for the rest of the season when the cricket management team will review the situation.

Ben Brown

“We have no plans to appoint a vice-captain because we feel there is already a good group of senior players in our squad who can support Ben.

“I’m sure everyone involved in Sussex cricket will get behind Ben for the remaining eight Championship games.

“He’s been a popular member of the Sussex family for many years and we’re sure this is a challenge he will absolutely relish.

“I’d also like to say a big thank you to Chris Nash who led us to victories in his two games in charge against Worcestershire and Leicestershire.

“I’m looking forward to Nashy making a big contribution in the rest of the season as a senior player and a key batsman in the side.”

The club also announced that Ross Taylor has been chosen to lead the Sussex Sharks in this year’s NatWest T20 Blast competition. It starts against Glamorgan at Arundel Castle on Sunday 9 July.

Sussex Cricket said: “Taylor, 33, has vast captaincy experience from his lengthy international career with New Zealand.

“He has played 63 T20 internationals and last year he scored more than 400 runs for the Sharks in the NatWest T20 Blast.”

He said: “I am very proud to be appointed captain of the Sharks for this season’s competition.

“I know the club and the players well from my time at the 1st Central County Ground, Hove, in 2016 and I am looking forward to joining up with the boys again.

“I believe we have a very exciting squad for this format and one that can challenge any team in the competition.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Sussex pick new skipper for rest of county championship season

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Load More
June 2017
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News