• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Mazda Fountain is saved – again

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 27 Jun, 2017 at 7:35PM
A A
1
Valley Gardens revamp would see Mazda fountain removed

The Mazda fountain by Dominic Alves on Flickr

The Mazda Fountain has survived the latest round of council discussions on the future of the Valley Gardens project.

The Mazda fountain by Dominic Alves on Flickr

Brighton and Hove City Council’s environment and transport committee discussed the design of the new park which will be formed from the Old Steine to St Peter’s Church when the road layout through the valley is altered.

The Mazda wasn’t included in the first draft of the plans – but following a public outcry in 2015, Labour pledged to keep the fountain if it won the local elections – and when it won control of the council in May, a redesign was duly ordered.

However, it was feared by fountain campaigners that Conservative and Green members could still propose replacing it with a modern water feature after council leader Warren Morgan asked residents to write to them pleading for the Mazda to stay.

A petition started by the founder of the Brighton Past Facebook group Carol Homewood calling on the fountain to be retained and restored has been signed by 1,072 people.

And this evening, despite strong words criticising the fountain – and Cllr Morgan’s statements – the revised plans were agreed with the Mazda intact.

It says: “The Mazda Electric Fountain, given to the town in 1930 by Thomson-Houston Ltd following an exhibition. This fountain has stood on Victoria Gardens for 87 years, a fine example of 1930’s architecture. It has the potential to be restored to its former glory and would be another fine tourist attraction for Brighton.

“It is much-loved by the residents of Brighton and Hove; many of them have lovely memories of it in their younger days and they would be distraught to see it vanish. We love our fountain.

“To some it may appear ugly but for most of us it’s beautiful, as is the little tardis-type hut with its art deco glass design that houses the working of the fountain.”

Green councillor Pete West said: “The Mazda Fountain is a real marmite issue. This moneypit has already had a huge amount of money spent on it and this report gives us a proposed running cost of thousands.

“How can it possibly be justified that we spent that sort of money on one out of place fountain and not realistically have the budget to maintain these gardens properly. It doesn’t make sense.”

However, he added that the Greens would not be proposing an amendment – and nor did the Tories – and the decision rested with committee chair, Labour’s Gill Mitchell.

Councillors also raised concerns about the lighting, the event space, and how the area would cope with large numbers of people using it.

Conservative Cllr Gary Peltzer-Dunn: “The artists’ impressions look lovely, apart from the 2ft butterflies. I love the 18 people walking through the park.

“I really support the scheme, but if it cannot cope with the numbers using it, it could turn from heaven to hell.”

Councillors were reassured that lessons had been learned from lighting at the Level, where new lights are due to be installed to deter antisocial behaviour.

And the council was working with Brighton Fringe to make sure events spaces were fit for purpose, also looking at the set up and clear up of performance spaces.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Paul says:
    9 years ago

    Pete West’s moneypit jibe pretty much sums up the futility of the whole scheme!

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Mazda Fountain is saved – again

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Load More
June 2017
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News