• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

King Alfred poses risk, councillors told

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Saturday 2 May, 2026 at 12:01AM
A A
0
Council submits plans for £65m new King Alfred Leisure Centre

A councillor has called for more details on how the council plans to monitor the risks of the King Alfred Leisure Centre project, given international uncertainties and high levels of public interest.

The King Alfred was included on Brighton and Hove City Council’s annual internal audit plan for 2026-27 in an update on areas that officials believe could pose a risk to the authority.

Labour councillor Liz Loughran asked for more detail about what the internal audit process would look like for the leisure centre scheme in the current financial year.

She wanted to know more about the assurances given by auditors as preparatory work gets under way on the plans for the King Alfred site on Hove seafront.

And she wanted to know whether the process was operating as expected and if risk was being managed appropriately.

Councillor Loughran said: “We agree it should be added to the (internal audit) plan and we note that the risk category is high and that there will be a high level of scrutiny.

“There is already a very high level of public interest, as you’ll be aware.”

At the meeting of the council’s Audit and Standards Committee on Tuesday 21 April, she asked that the committee be given more information about the scope of the audit and key aspects such as the tender process.

She added: “We’re in a climate where all our costs are being affected by what’s happening internationally.

“We’ve got rising energy costs. We’ve got uncertainty around inflation and so on. (It) could affect that project in particular.”

Council audit manager Carolyn Sheehan said that the information placed before councillors so far was brief but officials would develop their audit strategy as the project progressed.

She said: “We generally do a programme assurance audit. We’ve got a ‘bog standard’ one that we would do for any major programme across the council.

“But obviously we do need to look into the specifics of that capital programme (for the King Alfred) to understand what are the risks that are critical to that.”

Councillor Loughran’s request came in the same week when cabinet members approved the next stage of funding for the King Alfred project.

The money is due to cover the cost of site preparation work where planning permission has already been granted such as the demolition of the old ten-pin bowling alley.

The plans for a new swimming pool and leisure centre were published in March and have been the subject of a public consultation.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Most read

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

New bus route to start next month

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

King Alfred poses risk, councillors told

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 4: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 4: 25 reviews)

22 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 3: 20 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 3: 20 reviews)

22 May 2026
Penelope Isles announce concert dates including 2 Brighton gigs

Penelope Isles announce concert dates including 2 Brighton gigs

22 May 2026
Sound Of Wunderlich, Brighton Fringe, 21st May 2026

The Mayhem of The Sound Of Wunderlich

22 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
May 2026
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Apr    

RSS From Sussex News

  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News