• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Coastway trains to and from Brighton hardest hit by guards’ strike

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 3 Oct, 2017 at 12:09PM
A A
0
ASLEF delays train drivers strike ballot

The RMT conductors on strike in November 2016

Coastway trains to and from Brighton have been the hardest hit by the latest guards’ strike today (Tuesday 3 October) in the long-running dispute with Southern.

Southern – part of Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) – said that most services would be running as normal.

But the company listed more than 40 services that would be cancelled as a result of the strike – many of them the shuttle between Brighton and Hove stations.

Brighton and Hove Buses is accepting train tickets on a number of services including the 1, 1A, 2, 5, 5A, 5B, 6, 7, 46, 49 and 60 between railway stations.

The strike has been called by the RMT (Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers’ Union) as part of its dispute lasting more than 18 months over the introduction of driver-only operation.

Previously guards or conductors checked that it was safe to close the doors on a train before it pulled out of a station.

Last year Southern started using new trains which were configured so that drivers, using CCTV, could close each train’s doors.

As a result the role of the guard was scrapped in favour of “on-board supervisors”.

Southern has said that the new system means that if a guard is unavailable, a service need not be cancelled, improving reliability for passengers.

But the union said that the guard’s role was about safety – not just when leaving a station but during journeys too – and access for passengers with disabilities.

The union has criticised the on-board supervisor role for being too heavily focused on “revenue protection” – selling tickets or issuing fines to passengers without tickets.

The Association of British Commuters – set up by Brighton-based passengers – has published a series of documents from rail industry bosses flagging up financial savings, the risk of strike action and concerns about access.

Similar disputes have started at other rail companies as they have started making similar changes to those on Southern.

Strikes are taking place at four rail companies in total today – Southern, Arriva Rail North, Greater Anglia and Merseyrail.

Critics of the union have said that driver-only operation has existed safely for many years on services such as Thameslink and the Lonodn Underground where there are even driverless trains.

They say that the unions are engaged in a selfinterested Luddite battle to remain relevant rather than allowing the industry to change with the times for the benefit of passengers.

Today the RMT general secretary Mick Cash said: “RMT members are standing absolutely rock solid and united this morning in these four separate disputes as they make the case for safe, secure and accessible rail services for all.

“The public and workplace support right across the country for our train guards is nothing short of fantastic as we mount picketing operations at all key locations.

“These strikes are about safety. They are about putting the safety and security of the travelling public before the profits of private companies, profits that in the most part are shipped overseas to subsidise transport services in Europe. That is a national scandal.

“It is disgraceful that we have been unable to get serious and meaningful talks going in any of these four disputes and that points clearly to the dead hand of the government driving the faceless railway policy on purely ideological grounds and demanding that their contractors fall in line.”

The RMT is holding a second strike this week on Thursday (5 October) when another union, ASLEF, is calling a strike among its drivers on the London Underground.

ASLEF is also in dispute with GTR over the introduction of driver-only operation. It held talks with the company last month and said afterwards: “Further discussions between ASLEF and GTR have taken place and significant progress has been made.

“We are now in the process of finalising a proposal for agreement.”

Two previous deals were agreed with the company but rejected in a ballot by members.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Coastway trains to and from Brighton hardest hit by guards’ strike

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury Flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

14 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
October 2017
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News