• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Two high street stores go into administration, putting scores of Brighton and Hove jobs at risk

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 28 Feb, 2018 at 10:50AM
A A
3
Toys R Us jobs saved as creditors agree a lifeline

Toys R Us in Hove

Two high street stores have announced today that they have gone into administration, potentially putting dozens of jobs in the city at risk.

Toys R Us in Hove

Toys R Us at the Goldstone Retail Park, Hove, and Maplin, in London Road, Brighton, are both at risk from their parent companies calling in the administrators.

Both have been struggling to find themselves a buyer to dig themselves out of a financial hole. Toys R Us was given an extra three months to find a new owner before Christmas but administrators today said this had been unsuccessful.

It’s reported that Maplin faces a £15 million VAT bill next month and that talks with retailer Philip Day, who owns Edinburgh Woollen Mill, Peacocks, Jaeger and Austin Reed, broke down yesterday afternoon.

Toys R Us administrators Simon Thomas and Arron Kendall, from Moorfields, said that although the company is in administration, all of its stores will continue trading until further notice and much of the stock will be subject to clearance discounts and other special promotions.

Mr Thomas said: “We will be conducting an orderly wind-down of the store portfolio over the coming weeks. All stores remain open until further notice and stock will be subject to clearance and special promotions. We’re encouraging customers to redeem their gift cards and vouchers as soon as possible.

“We will make every effort to secure a buyer for all or part of the business. The newer, smaller, more interactive stores in the portfolio have been outperforming the older warehouse-style stores that were opened in the 1980s and 1990s.

“While this process is likely to affect many Toys R Us staff, whether some or all of the stores will close remains to be decided.

”We have informed employees about the process this morning and will continue to keep them updated on developments. We are grateful for the commitment and hard work of employees as the business continues to trade.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 3

  1. Alex May says:
    8 years ago

    It’s Maplin, not Maplin’s.

    Reply
  2. Frank le Duc says:
    8 years ago

    Thanks, Alex. That’s now corrected.

    Reply
  3. Satomi Miller says:
    8 years ago

    Toys R Us in Hove will definitely be closing.

    When the CVA was arranged last year asking landlords to slash their rent, the landlords were given a 45 day notice to evict should they not want to agree to rent reductions. Hove site landlord gave Toys R Us notice around two weeks ago which is why there is hardly any stock in the shop as it was moved to the online store plus one other store.

    Brighton/Hove was the sixth best profit making store in the country where improvements could have made it even better. Shame senior management refused to listen to staff & customers & make necessary changes throughout the chain, because staff have lost their jobs. All were on short term contracts so redundancy will not be given to all. The store could still have ‘millions under one roof’ if only the company made changes to keep up with the 21st century.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Man charged with raping woman on Brighton beach

Two men appear in court charged with murder in Brighton

Developer plans 12-storey block of co-living flats

Care provider chosen to run council’s £6m new supported living scheme

Two high street stores go into administration, putting scores of Brighton and Hove jobs at risk

Brighton woman charged after pro-Palestine protest in London

Former Brighton MP gives Burnham a boost

Pavement gullies for electric cars to be trialled

Drowned women now identified, police believe

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Top 5 music performances during this year’s Official and Unofficial ‘Escapes’

Top 5 music performances during this year’s Official and Unofficial ‘Escapes’

18 May 2026
A Bank Holiday Weekend of Art, Music and Food  with Nabihah Iqbal: Imagined, Eternal

A Bank Holiday Weekend of Art, Music and Food with Nabihah Iqbal: Imagined, Eternal

18 May 2026
The Great Escape marks its 20th anniversary with triumphant celebration of new music

The Great Escape marks its 20th anniversary with triumphant celebration of new music

18 May 2026
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Lantern Theatre, Brighton 22-23rd May 2026

Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

18 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
February 2018
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
  • Smurf line drug dealer jailed 13 May 2026
  • Patti Smith: A legend returns to Brighton Dome 13 May 2026
  • Driver arrested after woman dies in crash today 12 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News