• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Arts and Culture

Brighton gallery exhibits joy after crowdfunding success

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 13 Mar, 2018 at 10:12AM
A A
0
Brighton gallery exhibits joy after crowdfunding success

Fabrica

An art gallery in the centre of Brighton has secured a financial lifeline through a crowdfunding campaign to raise £20,000.

Fabrica, on the corner of Duke Street and Ship Street, today said thank you to more than 400 backers who pledged over £21,000 in four weeks.

The contemporary gallery, based in the old Holy Trinity Church, turned to crowdfunding after a cut in conventional funding, with rewards, including works of art, on offer to donors.

Fabrica said today (Tuesday 13 March): “In just 28 days, the appeal attracted 424 backers who picked up rewards including original artwork donated by artists Fabrica has presented over the last 22 years.

“Many also donated money without selecting a reward and the charity raised an additional £10,000 through a sponsored writing and drawing event it hosted in February.

“High profile supporters of the campaign have included Martin Parr and Caroline Lucas.”

Fabrica, which was set 22 years ago, ran the appeal after losing a £20,000 regular grant from Brighton and Hove City Council last year.

Despite cutting costs, Fabrica faced a gap in its finances that it needed to fill by the end of March.

Director Liz Whitehead, who was also one of the founders of Fabrica in 1996, said: “We have been completely bowled over by the response to the campaign.

“It’s been truly brilliant to see how much support we have in the city and beyond. Instead of thinking about which areas of the programme we might have to cut, we are now giving thought to what impact we can make with the additional money we raised.

“We feel that our campaign has raised Fabrica’s profile in the city and that people who may not have visited before will come to the gallery.

”I believe it has also highlighted the positive work we do with some of the city’s most vulnerable people, to reduce social isolation and improve people’s wellbeing.”

Fabrica

Artist Jane Fordham, who together with poet Jackie Wills organised the  drawing event, named the Draw-A-Thon and Writers’ Relay event, said: “We’re so delighted with the success of the sponsored event. It’s been a fantastic way to mobilise Brighton’s artistic community in raising funds for Fabrica, which has supported local artists for many years.”

The success of the appeal means that the charity will not have to close its doors or cut its programme.

Fabrica has said that it will direct the additional funds raised towards its exhibition programme, its artist development work and community activities such as Chomp, a free creative lunch club for families managing on a low income.

Fabrica’s next exhibition, Life Model II by Brighton Festival guest director David Shrigley, runs from Saturday 14 April until Sunday 27 May 2018.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Brighton gallery exhibits joy after crowdfunding success

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Sussex University staff vote to strike to try to save jobs

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury Flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

14 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
March 2018
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News