• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Housing repairs for Brighton and Hove council tenants to be carried out by new in-house team

by Frank le Duc
Friday 12 Oct, 2018 at 12:21PM
A A
0
Dozens of council flats to be built on two Brighton sites

Council house repairs, refurbishments and customer services will be brought back in-house by Brighton and Hove City Council when the current 10-year contract ends.

The work is currently carried out by the private contractor Mears along with other related work on council houses and flats.

But the change will hit tenants in the pocket, according to Conservative members of the council’s Policy, Resources and Growth Committee.

They tried to block the changes when the committee met at Hove Town Hall yesterday (Thursday 11 October) but Labour and Green councillors joined forces to push through the change.

Conservative deputy leader Councillor Steve Bell asked for the final decision to go before the full council due to meet on Thursday 18 October.

He said: “The HRA (Housing Revenue Account) is a very important budget item. It is the tenants’ money that goes into this and we are responsible to them on how we spend it.

“Each and every councillor has tenants within their wards. Although it has been through Housing and New Homes and now this committee, we have not, we believe, given every councillor the opportunity to speak for their wards.”

His amendment, seconded by Councillor Andrew Wealls, a fellow Tory, was defeated by Labour and the Greens.

The Labour council leader Daniel Yates said: “If those 54 councillors wished, any one of them could have addressed the committee.

“Any one could have written to written to submit a question.”

He gestured to the gallery and said that Conservative councillor Mary Mears and Labour councillor Alan Robins were the only members attending who were not part of the committee.

Labour councillor Gill Mitchell said: “We have heard how this contract has been extensively consulted on. Every single proper democratic step has been taken.

“I do not see the reasoning now in delaying this decision.”

Councillor Steve Bell

Green group convenor Councillor Phélim Mac Cafferty said that the decision had even been considered at a special committee meeting.

He said: “We are worried if this goes to full council, we are worried the Conservatives are trying to shelve this report.

“We are worried about the impact on the staff who need some degree of certainty and forward thinking.”

A Conservative amendment would have put repairs and refurbishment work out to contract for five years.

And the money that will be spent setting the in-house service would have been used to fund council housing.

Neighbourhoods, communities and housing executive director Larissa Reed told the committee how extensive consultation work had been carried out with feedback from residents and costs by Savills.

Excellent customer services and value for money were key to make the programme a success, she said.

And there would be a strong focus on proactive maintenance of existing assets

A budget of £112,000 is earmarked to cover the cost of setting up the new service and a reserve of £982,000 put by from the Housing Revenue Account (HRA).

One contract is going out to tender – for planned maintenance and improvements to council housing stock.

Major and specialist works will also be carried out by contractors.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Housing repairs for Brighton and Hove council tenants to be carried out by new in-house team

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
October 2018
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News