• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Constance Marten asked ‘where is your child?’ in dramatic arrest video

by Emily Pennink - PA Old Bailey correspondent
Tuesday 6 Feb, 2024 at 3:01PM
A A
0
Allotments remain cordoned off following discovery of body in hunt for missing baby

Police officers put up crime scene tape at Roedale Valley Allotments

Jurors have seen dramatic video of the moment fugitive aristocrat Constance Marten was arrested in the street and asked repeatedly: “Where is your child?”

Constance Marten, 36, and Mark Gordon, 49, had allegedly been living with their newborn baby off grid in a tent on the South Downs while on the run from police.

Last February 27, police finally tracked them down to the Hollingbury area of Brighton after they were spotted by a member of the public.

They declined to say where baby Victoria was and on March 1, her body was found in a Lidl supermarket bag covered in rubbish in a disused shed.

Police Sergeant Robert Button was among the officers who arrested the defendants at 9.35pm last February 27.

Giving evidence, Mr Button said Marten appeared to be wearing “furniture stuffing” for insulation and smelled “unclean and unwashed”.

He said both she and Gordon had a distinctive odour that he associated with homeless people.

The officer’s body-worn video showed the moment they were arrested on suspicion of child neglect.

Mr Button approached Gordon and said: “Hello. Sorry mate, can you stop for a second? Stop alright, I need to speak to you.”

Asked what about, Mr Button said: “Well because potentially I think you may have been in the national news.”

When Gordon denied it, he was asked why he was running away and ordered repeatedly to put the stick he was carrying down.

As the defendant resisted, he was told: “Relax yourself, you are under arrest until I confirm who you are.”

Gordon complained he was hungry and he “wasn’t doing anything”.

A distressed Marten then intervened saying: “Stop with him please, he’s not well.”

She went on: “Oh my god, I can’t watch. Leave him alone. Let him eat his food. He’s starving.”

Another officer later turned to Marten and said: “I’ll level with you, you are under arrest for child neglect.”

Marten replied: “For doing what?”

She was then asked by officers: “Where’s your child? Where’s your child? Sorry, where is your child, we need to know?”

The defendant did not respond.

A dog handler then said: “Tell me now because I’m going to send the dog into the wood to try and find someone so you tell me where it is now.”

A discussion could be heard about carrying out an “open search” before Marten was further arrested for concealment of the birth of a child.

Marten insisted it was “not an arrestable offence”, adding: “You can’t arrest someone for hiding a pregnancy.”

They became front-page news last January when Greater Manchester Police launched a missing persons inquiry after finding a placenta in the couple’s burnt-out car on a motorway near Bolton.

Last February 20, the defendants had been caught on camera trying to break into Hollingbury Golf Course near Brighton, East Sussex, and “rumaging” through a wheelie bin, the court heard.

On the evening of February 27, CCTV captured Marten appearing to attempt to steal food from a shop.

She then withdrew cash from an ATM machine and Gordon bought food in a convenience store.

Resident Dale Cooley spotted Gordon carrying a stick with one foot wrapped in a plastic bag, which he thought was “strange”.

Mr Cooley recognised the couple and checked a story on the local Argus newspaper website to confirm his suspicions.

He described phoning his wife, saying: “I told her it was definitely the couple from the news because the descriptions matched and their behaviour seemed strange as if they were trying to stay hidden.”

He tried to engage them in conversation asking if they were on Stanmer Drive, and Gordon replied “we don’t know” in a gruff Northern accent, the court was told.

In a statement read to court, Mr Cooley said: “Their body language suggested they did not want to be bothered. I spotted a paramedic car and waved them down. I asked them what I should do and they said call 999.”

Mr Cooley, who had gone out in his car to dispose of coffee pots and visit an ATM, alerted police at 9.26pm.

The defendants, of no fixed address, deny the manslaughter of baby Victoria by gross negligence between January 4 and February 27 last year.

They are also charged with perverting the course of justice, concealing the birth of a child, child cruelty and causing or allowing the death of a child.

The Old Bailey trial continues.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Constance Marten asked ‘where is your child?’ in dramatic arrest video

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Firefighters urge people to avoid dangerous aerosol trend

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Load More
February 2024
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
26272829  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News