• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Compensation fund for dismissed LGBT veterans is too small, Brighton MP says

by PA report
Friday 1 Nov, 2024 at 10:51AM
A A
2
Compensation fund for dismissed LGBT veterans is too small, Brighton MP says

Chris Ward

The compensation available for veterans dismissed from the armed forces for being gay is not generous enough, Brighton Kemptown MP Chris Ward said yesterday.

Labour MPs said the £50 million that has been allocated under a Government scheme means LGBT veterans who were forced out of their jobs could get about £12,500.

The so-called “gay ban” in place in the armed forces was lifted in 2000. Previously LGBT service personnel faced lengthy investigations before being sacked, with them being stripped of their medals and rank.

Mr Ward said his consituent Steve was dismissed by the RAF in 1985 over a relationship with a male officer.

He said: “He made the mistake of telling the truth and was sentenced to six months in jail. He lost his rank, he lost all his financial benefits, he lost his family and he lost a career he loved.

“When he was released he was 28 years old, homeless and with nowhere to turn.

“I’ve met Steve, he’s a man of huge honour and courage, but these are the words he said to me: ‘I felt washed in shame, my career was shattered, I had a criminal record, I had no pension and I had to live hand to mouth for the rest of my life surviving on benefits.’

“As we’ve heard today it’s not even an outlier.”

He added: “While I also recognise the financial situation this government operates under, can capping payments at an average of £12,500 per person really be appropriate for the level of injustice suffered by people like Steve and so many other LGBT veterans.”

A review by Lord Etherton in 2023 examined the experience of LGBT veterans, which led to the compensation scheme being established.

Hundreds of armed forces personnel were sacked for their sexuality every year in the 1980s, LGBT activist Peter Tatchell has previously said.

Veterans who are affected can apply for restorative measures on the Government website.

The application window will be open at the end of the year, Veterans Minister Al Carns said, and remain open for two years.

Mr Carns said he had spoken at the LGBTQ+ Defence Awards earlier this year and had told guests: “Anyone can dodge bullets, bombs or artillery fire, but to fight against the tide when everything is bearing down on you and continue the struggle in the fight for justice is commendable.”

He called the treatment of LGBT personnel from 1967 to 2000 was “completely unacceptable”.

“The ministry was on the wrong side of history,” he added.

Mr Carns added: “I have of course been aware of speculation, and have heard some figures in relation to this fund. I trust colleagues will understand that as we continue our work to finalise its modalities, it is too soon for me to comment on exact figures.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Brighton Starfish says:
    2 years ago

    Yes we all want to be taxed even more than the record amount in UK history to pay compensation for this. Why not bring public sector pensions in line with private sector ones to find the money.

    Reply
    • Chris says:
      2 years ago

      Gets my vote. Biggest Ponzi scheme ever.

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Compensation fund for dismissed LGBT veterans is too small, Brighton MP says

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
November 2024
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News