• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Takeaway owner awaits 3am verdict from licensing panel

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Friday 15 Nov, 2024 at 5:13PM
A A
3
New food outlet faces challenge over hours

62 Queen's Road in Brighton was previously known as Lottie's

A business owner who wants to open a new food outlet in the centre of Brighton is waiting to learn whether he can serve takeaway and delivery customers until 3am.

Sussex Police and Brighton and Hove City Council licensing officials objected to his plans which they said breached a policy on new late-night outlets other than in exceptional circumstances.

Bahaaeldin Abdelalim, 42, told a council licensing panel that he would close the Station Grill, at 62 Queen’s Road, to diners at midnight if he was granted a late-night refreshment licence.

The licence would allow him to serve food and non-alcoholic drinks after 11pm and was discussed at a council licensing panel hearing today (Friday 15 November).

Mr Abdelalim said that there was a need for a healthy hot food offering for late-night workers, including taxi and bus drivers and offered to restrict sales to collection and deliveries only after midnight.

He said that as the restaurant was small and did not sell alcohol that the circumstances were exceptional – and none of his neighbours had objected to the application.

Sussex Police licensing officer Hannah Staplehurst asked Mr Abdelalim about his experience of running a late-night operation in Britain.

Mr Abdelalim had no experience of operating a late-night food business here but had 15 years’ experience in his home country of Egypt.

Ms Staplehurst raised concerns about the number of crimes in Queen’s Road in the past year, including 11 sexual assaults.

She said that there were five businesses with historic 3am late-night refreshment licences without alcohol sales in Queen’s Road, one next to Mr Abdelalim’s premises.

Asking the panel to refuse the application Ms Staplehurst said: “By operating in the night-time economy there is a lot of risk and this needs to be done by somebody who has understanding.

“I feel the applicant has agreed to conditions just to get a licence and then potentially we’ll have future problems.”

Council licensing officer Sarah Cornell shared Sussex Police’s lack of confidence in the application.

She said: “I have concerns regarding the amount of premises in the area … and that the applicant has limited experience of this premises and of Brighton and our late-night economy.”

The panel was made up of three councillors – Julie Cattell, John Hewitt and Ivan Lyons. They retired to make their decision which should be made public within five working days.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 3

  1. Preston parker says:
    2 years ago

    People should be in bed at 2 or 3 am, not prowling the streets looking for badly cooked, unhealthy ,expensive junk food.

    Refuse this application !

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      2 years ago

      I mean…people can do whatever they like at whatever time they please. “I think they shouldn’t do that because it doesn’t fit with my sensibilities” is poor justification for a refusal.

      Ms Staplehurst’s statement in this article seems fallacious. She fails to establish a link between crimes in the area and businesses; and highlights the presence of local other businesses, which is irrelevant in the context presented. It could also be characterised as a form of ad hominem; questioning the applicant’s intent or understanding without substantiating the claim; and implying that granting the licence will inevitably lead to negative consequences without providing a logical or evidence-based progression to support this is a slippery slope, again, fallacious.

      Reply
      • ChrisC says:
        2 years ago

        I think it’s actually an important part of the process to ask what experience the applicant has in dealing with the special circumstances of night time opening.

        Alcohol increases the propensity of trouble and the operator should have experience of that and how to deal with it. I’m sure any new applicant would be asked the same sort of questions on that and their understanding of the licence conditions.

        And licensing officers – both police and council – will have met the applicant beforehand and if they feet the applicant isn’t totally au fait with the licensing regime and their personal responsibilities within it then it’s important for them to raise it with the councillors so they can factor it into their decision making.

        And of course the applicant would have had their say on this but it’s not been reported here what their response was.

        Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

New bus route to start next month

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Takeaway owner awaits 3am verdict from licensing panel

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Funeral fundraiser for three sisters recovered off Brighton beach launched

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 7: 29 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 7: 29 reviews)

22 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 6: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 6: 25 reviews)

22 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 5: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 5: 25 reviews)

22 May 2026
SORA pop up to bring a layer of class to Malmaison

SORA arrives at Malmaison Brighton Marina

22 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
November 2024
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News