• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

School streets scheme may fail because of shortage of volunteers

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Monday 25 Nov, 2024 at 8:49PM
A A
18
School streets scheme may fail because of shortage of volunteers

A sign sets out the school street restrictions in Balfour Road, in Brighton, by the corner of Loder Road

A “school streets” scheme aimed at keeping children safe on the roads near their primary appears to have collapsed, according to a parent.

Mark Cooper photographed several people dropping off children on the zigzags outside Balfour Primary School, in Balfour Road, Brighton.

The school is one of at least 15 where Brighton and Hove City Council has used “experimental traffic orders” to bring in restrictions at the start and end of the school day.

The aim is to encourage more children to walk or cycle to school and reduce the number of cars on the school run.

The Balfour scheme started in July last year for an initial 18 months and is meant to close Balfour Road between Ditchling Road and Loder Road.

But it has not proved easy to find enough volunteers to operate the barriers used to enforce the scheme from 8.15am to 9.15am and 2.45pm to 3.45pm in term time.

Mr Cooper said: “Children are in daily danger because the Balfour school street scheme has sadly failed (as it) required volunteers to enforce it.

“(I) appreciate the failure should help the council get enforcement powers but hoping to see wardens or even police while we wait. Cars three abreast at the school crossing is typical, unfortunately.”

The council’s cabinet member for transport, parking and the public realm Trevor Muten said: “School streets are an important part of our efforts to improve air quality and reduce traffic near schools.

“Our trial schemes have benefited from fantastic volunteer support. Where we do not always have sufficient volunteers, it is not possible to use temporary barriers as part of the experimental schemes.

“This is the case at Balfour, where the school street is currently limited to signs informing road users of the restrictions in place at school drop off and pick up times.”

Councillor Muten added: “Recent guidance from the Department for Transport says CCTV (closed-circuit television) cameras are the most effective way to enforce restrictions.

“But this is not something the council currently has powers to do. For these schemes to be successful, therefore, we need the entire community to support our efforts.

“That means not only the volunteers but also parents and residents following the signs and thinking seriously about the impact on others of driving up to the school gate or along the road during these busy times.

“The experimental order is coming to an end and we will look at the data and feedback from residents before deciding our next steps.”

Green councillor Steve Davis, the leader of the opposition, said that the Balfour site was complicated because Varndean School is at the other end of the road.

Both he and fellow Green councillor Kerry Pickett have met the heads of the two schools to try to encourage more volunteers – but without success.

Councillor Davis has written to Councillor Muten asking for the formal restrictions to be kept in place until the government gives councils the power to enforce moving traffic violations.

The council started the school streets project at the request of Westdene Primary School parents in November 2019. It now covers at least 15 schools.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 18

  1. Max says:
    1 year ago

    Adults who choose to ignore the restrictions and drive into the SchoolStreet are knowingly reducing the safety of children. Shameful.

    Reply
  2. Tom Harding says:
    1 year ago

    Another failed scheme brought to you by cllr Davis and the Greens.
    Still – not as bad as Beryl Bikes!

    Reply
  3. What the farking says:
    1 year ago

    All these green voting yummy mummies in their SUV’s. 🤣🤣🤣

    Reply
  4. Mandy says:
    1 year ago

    Same at Westdene School. No barriers to enforce and the signs are overgrown so no one can see the restrictions even if they were inclined to adhere to them. What a waste of money, not an insignificant environmental cost, and additional inconvenience/mileage for locals due to a 24/7 one way system BHCC imposed at the same time which is also often missed/ignored by drivers.

    Reply
  5. Chris says:
    1 year ago

    Perhaps we need more smaller schools to disperse the problem ?

    Reply
  6. Vespasian says:
    1 year ago

    Dear Cllr Davis.. do you really expect to rely on people volunteering? That’s not a very good business model. You clearly inhabit a parallel universe

    Reply
  7. Benjamin says:
    1 year ago

    The volunteering aspect is the weakness of this scheme. It needs a paid role realistically, alongside the relevant legislation to enforce this.

    Reply
    • Anon says:
      1 year ago

      Bring back the Lolly Pop Ladies! With enabling enhanced supervision!!! Plus back door payments

      Reply
    • BertY says:
      1 year ago

      Agreed — the “School Streets” were introduced by Councillor Steve Davis as yet another ideological scheme without including the enforcement and staffing it obviously required.

      Reply
  8. ROBERT BROWN, Kemptown LibDems says:
    1 year ago

    Agree, with some of the comments re: volunteering. Something so crucial shouldn’t be left to unpaid volunteers as it’s extremely challenging to keep volunteers when the weather is horrendous, if there’s no real (paid) coordinator etc.

    Why don’t the relevant local Cllrs put their time where their mouth is and volunteer to coordinate these schemes; that would show commitment.

    Reply
    • AllJustMeh says:
      1 year ago

      So crucial you need to put barriers on roads?

      However did we all survive and get through school without our roads being closed for so many years?

      How about education on using the roads, Idk, something like ‘Stop, Look, and Listen’? Instead of letting wee little Tarquin run carefree and be a parent, taking responsibility for your own child.

      Less nanny-ing and more personal responsibility is needed, stop treating adults as kids.

      Reply
      • Benjamin says:
        1 year ago

        I’d argue that mature fully functioning adults can obey simple instructions, such as road restrictions around school times.

        It is evident they cannot, so continuing “to be treated like kids” seems perfectly reasonable to me.

        Reply
        • AllJustMeh says:
          1 year ago

          So have the paid, council employed, parking staff on view then. They will be a visual deterrent and be able to issue PCNs if need be. Why do the roads have to be closed at all? If people want a decent service then it should be paid for not left on the hope that there will be enough volunteers.

          Reply
  9. PalmeriaSeagull says:
    1 year ago

    Balfour parents want everyone else to stop driving and to volunteer.
    Balfour parents won’t stop driving and won’t volunteer.
    Balfour parents expect the council to sort it out.

    Reply
    • Nathan Adler says:
      1 year ago

      This exactly. Any idea that payment is required and not volunteers is tidiculous as well. Other schemes in the city work fine.

      Reply
  10. Anon says:
    1 year ago

    I am guilty of driving my kids to school once or twice a week. Days which coincide with we, the parents, needing to be at work at a specific time.

    With no breakfast clubs available, two children at different schools, and two working parents, with a very short space of time to get from school to the office, we have limited choices otherwise.

    Reply
    • Charlie Herbert says:
      1 year ago

      I’m sorry _ you don’t conform to the Green Dream.
      You will have to be terminated

      Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      1 year ago

      Absolutely nothing wrong with driving to school. The practicalities are unassailable. Just don’t park in the restricted area.

      Reply

Leave a Reply to Vespasian Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man found dead in house this morning

Moped rider held on suspicion of drug dealing

Car showroom to become supermarket

Mugger wanted after robbery in Brighton street

School streets scheme may fail because of shortage of volunteers

Post arrives too soon for Brighton Festival team

Woman guilty of stealing hostage memorial

Paraglider injured in crash at Devil’sDyke

Brighton’s grassroots ‘Homegrown Festival’ is back!

Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Post arrives too soon for Brighton Festival team

Post arrives too soon for Brighton Festival team

16 February 2026
Brighton’s grassroots ‘Homegrown Festival’ is back!

Brighton’s grassroots ‘Homegrown Festival’ is back!

15 February 2026
An aural onslaught from GBH and friends

An aural onslaught from GBH and friends

14 February 2026
Stella Rose & Bande Á Part in action in Brighton

Stella Rose & Bande Á Part in action in Brighton

13 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
3

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
November 2024
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Man dies in crash this afternoon 16 February 2026
  • Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn 16 February 2026
  • Man, 63, charged after pub stabbing 16 February 2026
  • Primary school teacher charged with sexually assaulting two children 14 February 2026
  • Police staff member spared prison for having child porn 14 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News