• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Two bus routes set to merge

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 22 Apr, 2026 at 6:32PM
A A
16
Bus user group withdraws support for Valley Gardens scheme

Two bus routes are set to merge from early summer with a route which goes via Brighton Station and North Street.

Residents were told last month Brighton and Hove Buses was looking to link the popular 18 route with another.

Bus passenger group Buswatch announced last week this would be the 50 route which serves Hollingdean – and that the new service will have the number 20.

However, the route as currently proposed does not stop at Churchill Square – although Hollingdean and Fiveways councillor Theresa Fowler says it has been tweaked to stop at Imperial Arcade at her suggestion .

Brighton and Hove Buses was approached for comment, but had not responded at the time of publication.

According to Buswatch, the route will be:

Hollingdean to London Road Shops – Cheapside – Queens Road* – N1 & N4 – St James’s St – Queens Park

Queens Park – Old Steine – N5 – Brighton Station – North Road – London Road Shops – Hollingdean

David Nash, who chairs Brighton Buswatch under the name Nash Travelman, said: “The combined route has many benefits.

It’s a route linking Ditchling Road to Brighton Station direct (using a successfully tried and tested route via Trafalgar Street).

“The combined route saves on one bus that could be used elsewhere.

“One route less at Churchill Square – though not too much an issue – will free up bus stop space, providing a better through put of buses.”

He also said the new route had points at either end where late-running buses can catch up – an issue with the looped 18 service which led to poorer reliability.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 16

  1. Natalie coomber says:
    4 months ago

    I live in Hollingdean and use the bus several days per week and the 50 service is very poor as it is I’m worried that it will be very much worse for the residents of Hollingdean and is used be a huge amount of pensioners and young families

    Reply
  2. Tim Dunnicliffe says:
    4 months ago

    Hollingdean has three major shopping areas two to the South Sainsbury’s and Aldi/B&Q. One to the North ASDA. Neither has a bus link enabling people to do their weekly shopping, but at least residents can get the bus to Queens Park to feed the ducks.

    Reply
  3. Uptown Earl says:
    4 months ago

    This number 20 route sounds like it’s been dreamt up by a boardroom full of penny pinching suits who have never used a bus in their entire lives. The problem with the 18s would have been better solved by creating a 2A route. Something that goes down Freshfield Road, Queens Park Terrace/Road to the Old Steine instead of Queensway. Then it would turn right at the clocktower and follow the number 7 route to George Street where it would once again merge with the regular 2 route.

    Reply
  4. CELIA STEER says:
    4 months ago

    Whats going to happen to 18 bus will it still serve Compton Ave to Pepper Pot via Homeleas and Monlelier road towards Waitrose

    Reply
  5. Thomas says:
    4 months ago

    As a resident of Hollingdean, this sounds awful – i get on and off at the old steine multiple times a week, and this new route would extend the time spend to get there significantly or force me to get off and walk – with the current ridiculous bus prices this is just taking the mick! The 50 would be served better by a more consistent buses, and there should be new ones added, not this poorly thought out combination. Who is this helping that wouldn’t be better served by an additional route?

    Reply
  6. Michael+barry says:
    4 months ago

    The 50 bus service is already the worst service in europe

    Reply
  7. Madeline Douglas says:
    4 months ago

    I can’t believe you’re doing this. It’s absolutely appalling and we have no say once again.

    Reply
  8. Alison Evans says:
    4 months ago

    I’m concerned about having to walk to Fredrick Place in the dark when I come home from the station

    Reply
  9. Steven Seagull says:
    4 months ago

    To those saying they have had no say… these changes are being requested by Brighton Area Bus Watch, the community organisation whose sole purpose is taking community suggestions for network improvements to the bus company!! Get involved!!

    Reply
  10. Wesley says:
    4 months ago

    Good news

    Reply
  11. Claire says:
    4 months ago

    I live in Hollingdean and we have NOT been notified of this. Cutting off an entire estate from Churchill Square is ridiculous, making it difficult for people with impaired mobility to get there. What idiot thought up this plan, one that doesn’t rely on buses that’s who. It’s going to put more time on journeys going all round the houses to get home after a hard days work. The 50 service is beyond a joke as it is. Thank you Brighton & Hove buses for your impeccable service in failing the community.

    Reply
  12. Marion says:
    4 months ago

    I depend on the 50 from Hollingdean daily for shopping, medical appointments and church. I do not drive a car. The proposed change cuts me off completely and offers no alternative. Who benefits? I don’t recall being asked about changes, just told. Please please reconsider.

    Reply
  13. Marion says:
    4 months ago

    Please reconsider changes to 50 route.

    Reply
  14. Shannon says:
    4 months ago

    This is a bad move, Hollingdean residents need a route to Churchill Square!
    I also notice that there is no information about when the proposal comes in!
    Firstly no consultation either residents and secondly no time schedule for the proposed changes. As usual the people being affected are being kept in the dark!!

    Reply
  15. Smith says:
    3 months ago

    This is ridiculous, I,m 76 years old and need to get to Churchill Square once a week. What’s my bus pass for or do you want me to take a taxi on an old age pension!

    Reply
  16. Anon says:
    3 months ago

    I totallay agree with the points about no service 50 to Churchill Square and also no service back to Hollingdean either but it might come in useful if I have to get to/from the station as I find it difficult to use the bridge at Moulscoomb station. Why can’t they reinstate the 50 going up to the station instead ? Yet again no body asks the people who actually have to use the bus !!!!!

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Two bus routes set to merge

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Conservation charity urges companies to use native wildflowers in displays

Grieving parents concerned as maternity services told to improve again

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
April 2026
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News