• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Former Labour activist due in court over tweet to Jewish campaigner

by Jo Wadsworth
Friday 17 Jan, 2025 at 2:17PM
A A
6
Former Labour activist due in court over tweet to Jewish campaigner

A former Labour officer is due in court to face charges over a tweet he sent to a local Jewish campaigner.

Greg Hadfield, who previously edited and co-owned the Brighton Independent, will appear in court next month charged with sending an offensive, indecent, obscene or menacing message on a public communication network.

It is understood it relates to a tweet he sent to Fiona Sharpe from the Sussex Jewish Representative Council, and featured a screenshot of a pornographic image first posted by former Hove MP Ivor Caplin.

A police spokesman said: “Sussex Police can confirm that Greg Hadfield, 68, of Surrenden Road, Brighton, has received a postal requisition to attend Brighton Magistrates’ Court on February 13.

“He faces a charge of sending by a public communication network an offensive, indecent, obscene, or menacing message or matter, contrary to the Communications Act 2003.”

Mr Hadfield was briefly secretary of the Brighton and Hove District Labour party in July 2016, and later chair of the local branch of Momentum.

Editor’s note: A previous version of this story said Hadfield had been charged. Under the postal requisition process, no charge is brought until the defendant appears at court.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 6

  1. MikeyMike says:
    2 years ago

    Anyone who follows Greg Hadfield’s X feed will realise all this has very little to do with Caplin’s religion and everything to do with his politics and shocking conduct. The X post Hadfield re-tweeted was very mild in content by comparison of some of Caplin’s astonishing sexual output on a public forum, and a certain friend of Mr Caplin, Fiona Sharpe decided to report it, even though the retweet wasn’t even solely directed at her. This is Hadfield acting as an investigative journalist trying to expose what is going on. If anyone should be charged it should be the original poster, not the re-tweeter! Mr Hadfield has no criminal case to answer in my view.

    Reply
  2. Honzik says:
    2 years ago

    Peculiar to mention that the alleged recipient of the Tweet is Jewish. In the interests of symmetry, let’s observe that the originator of the pornographic Tweet is also Jewish.

    Reply
  3. Chris Trugmaker says:
    2 years ago

    To those of us following the inside story, Fiona Sharpe is looking pretty silly. Just because she’s offended doesn’t maker her right. This was after all a re-tweet she was perfectly happy to receive directly the first time from her mate Ivor. She ought to be charged with wasting Police time.

    Reply
    • Andy Richards says:
      2 years ago

      ……and she’s not the only one looking pretty silly. Some very sloppy “journalism” here. Often the case when you’re more interested in a confected hit piece than reporting facts……

      Reply
  4. Greg Hadfield says:
    2 years ago

    I have asked for this article to be removed and rewritten, with [another] new headline.

    I have been summoned, not charged.

    The summons does not mention – or relate to – a tweet/post “sent” to anyone.

    Even if it did, I do not see what relevance the person’s faith/heritage is.

    The article does not mention my faith/heritage – not least because Jo Wadsworth did not get intouch with me before publication.

    A full account can be found here: https://greghadfield.medium.com/revealed-zionism-abuse-pornography-and-worse-f080409f8606

    Reply
  5. Flappy Pigeon says:
    2 years ago

    Greg entered the chat with all of his receipts! Well done sir

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Former Labour activist due in court over tweet to Jewish campaigner

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Load More
January 2025
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News