• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Chippie lodges appeal to keep ‘garish’ shop signage

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Monday 31 Mar, 2025 at 11:07PM
A A
13
Police oppose Brighton takeaway’s plan to close at 5am

A fish and chip shop owner has lodged an appeal to try to keep his shop signage after planning permission was refused.

Abbanoub SamirGad Salama, 29, previously submitted plans for an “almost identical” proposal for illuminated signage at Fish and Chips at 86-87 Preston Street, Brighton. The application was refused.

Brighton and Hove City Council served an enforcement notice. The applicant appealed and lost.

After the latest – retrospective – planning application, an official council report said: “The difference (is) that the current proposals seek to remove the method of illumination for the signage.”

Turning down the most recent proposal, the council said that the size, location, material and colour “detracts from the appearance of the site and wider Regency Square Conservation Area”.

The applicant, a director of ANA Supermarkets Ltd, said in his statement of appeal that the latest refusal did not take into account other signs in the area which are a similar colour and made with similar materials.

He said: “The refusal decision bears no relation to the City Plan and seems to have been made to add credence to the serving of an enforcement notice because the signs were illuminated and the application to make them non illuminated in order to retain them after they have been in-situ since 2020 frustrates that enforcement.

“Across the city, the same materials and colours are used without objection and the visual fact that Preston Street seems to be no different to most areas would indicate that the refusal based on the City Plan is both absurd and unfair.”

The council’s Conservation Advisory Group (CAG) objected to the application, saying that the sign was overly large, garish and unsympathetic to the conservation area.

It also said that 86-87 Preston Street was opposite the grade II listed 5 Preston Street.

In 2022, an enforcement noticed was issued to remove the signs and outdoor seated area which was first installed in 2020.

Mr Salama applied for planning permission in July 2021 but his application was turned down.

Late last year, Mr Salama was informed that he had lost his appeal against the enforcement notice.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 13

  1. Robert Pattinson says:
    1 year ago

    The council planning needs to take a walk around the listed structures the council look after, the seafront is in a really bad state. This chip shop at least looks tidy and clean. Lots of other buildings on the same street are in decay. This time the council needs to back down.

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      1 year ago

      Is that not a argumentum tu quoque, Mr Pattison?

      Reply
      • Andy Smith says:
        1 year ago

        You are Jacob Rees-Moog and I claim my ten pounds

        Reply
  2. Car Delenda Est says:
    1 year ago

    It’s added much needed character to an otherwise run down street, it would be a shame to see it go.

    Reply
    • ChrisC says:
      1 year ago

      It added a mess. The black and white don’t go with anything.

      It gives the appearance of being accessible but it isn’t when you get close up.

      Perhaps if they applied for a planning permission BEFORE building it they could have done something that would have passed muster with the planners.

      Reply
      • Robert Pattinson says:
        1 year ago

        Although planning should be obtained the council itself is the worst offender for not looking after listed structures just have a walk around.

        Reply
      • Car Delenda Est says:
        1 year ago

        can you be more specific about the accessibility issues?

        Reply
  3. Elder1 says:
    1 year ago

    There are several restaurants in the City who flout planning rules. The Council needs to force the owners to comply. .

    Reply
    • ChrisC says:
      1 year ago

      They are.

      It just takes time when they can appeal to the planning inspectorate and then ignore the ruling and then have to be taken to court for an enforcement order.

      Reply
    • Robert Pattinson says:
      1 year ago

      Have a walk along the seafront many listed structures the council look after are falling apart, pointless the council planning coming down heavy when it is the worst offender in listed areas.

      Reply
  4. Billy Short says:
    1 year ago

    To be fair, the frontage of this shop is shocking, and totally out of keeping with Preston Street.
    The reason they are in this mess is that they made the drastic changes without consulting anybody.
    If you think that is acceptable then we might as well give up on the idea of conservation areas.

    Reply
  5. Craig Smith says:
    1 year ago

    Missed brown envelope opportunity.

    Reply
  6. Bruce Sandeman-Craik says:
    1 year ago

    “detracts from the appearance of the site and wider Regency Square Conservation Area”, which it does

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Chippie lodges appeal to keep ‘garish’ shop signage

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Firefighters urge people to avoid dangerous aerosol trend

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Load More
March 2025
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News