• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Short hop bus fares to go up 30%

by Jo Wadsworth
Monday 3 Nov, 2025 at 5:02PM
A A
10
New cross-city express bus route launched

Short hop bus fares will rise 30% this Saturday because so many people have been taking advantage of the council subsidy, its budget is running out.

When the national £2 bus fare ended last year, Brighton and Hove City Council decided to use money they were given by central government to subsidise shorter journeys, which would be capped at £1.

But the budget set aside for this has been used up more quickly than expected, which means the subsidy will be reducing by 30p per journey from Saturday on Brighton and Hove Buses.

A council spokesman said: “Our subsidy is reducing as the budget we have used to subsidise bus fares for the past 11 months is depleted due to the popular demand on our offers over this period.

“However, we are retaining a subsidy keeping fares lower within the limits of the resources we have to do so.”

The amount the council will pay the bus company will reduce from 70p to 30p for short hop fares, bringing the price passengers pay up from £1 to £1.30.

The fare for medium single journeys is also increasing from £2.50 to £2.60, because the council subsidy is reducing from 30p to 20p.

The government money, given to fund the council’s Bus Service Improvement Plan (BSIP), will still be used to pay for free travels for children travelling with adults.

Unaccompanied children will continue to pay 50p for single off-peak journeys.

The daily £6 citysaver ticket will also be continuing to the end of the year for anyone buying them on the Brighton and Hove Buses mobile app, online keycard or at travel shops.

However, the daily citysaver using tap-on, tap-off or cash on the bus will rise from £6 to £6.60.

The weekly citysaver, currently priced at £25 however you buy it, will go up to £26 if bought in advance or £28.70 if bought on board.

The council was given £27.9 million in 2021 to improve bus services. The money has been spent on subsidising community bus routes, launching express routes 1X and 3X and a range of other measures.

To read more, click here.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 10

  1. Trevor P says:
    10 months ago

    Buses are unaffordable for many, unless this Labour government and council do something to address the extortionate cost of public transport, it’s all just hot air from them.

    Reply
  2. John Donne says:
    10 months ago

    The reality of Britain under new labour

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      10 months ago

      The reality of Tory’s failed Brexit, which can be evidenced in the parent companies own filings in Companies House.

      Reply
  3. Karen dobb says:
    10 months ago

    This is appsolutly disgusting expecially as in other parts of the UK bus fares are free for over 60s

    Reply
  4. Scott Russell says:
    10 months ago

    What a load of rubbish they say use the bus but keep putting the fare up they are unreliable and you have to put up with vaping and dirty buses when on them they tell you to use the buses rather than drive but how can you now they don’t even go up pennies complete joke to say the least

    Reply
    • Karen Soffe says:
      10 months ago

      Agree, 2 people going into town and back for a couple of hrs, cheaper to drive and put in the car park. So much for use public transport to reduce car use!!!

      Reply
      • Benjamin says:
        10 months ago

        Even cheaper if you use a taxi, if we’re assuming a one-off journey and not economies of scale such as weekly tickets and the like.

        Reply
  5. M Fry says:
    10 months ago

    Pretty cheap compared to all other forms of transport, excluding bikes and PEVs.

    Short taxi rides won’t come close to £2.50.

    The Tories obliterated all public services, so it is right that funding gradually returns as growth increases.

    Next we need to address more cycle routes and allowance of other PEVs.
    Those whinging either don’t use the busses at all, or are freeloading pensioners somehow whinging that…. they are still getting free bus travel?!

    Reply
    • RSummers says:
      10 months ago

      You appear to have a very blinkered view that supposes that your experience and circumstances must apply to everyone. They do not.
      The problem with cycles and e-cycles is that pedestrians are now generally in danger because of the way they are used, a lot of the time on the pavement.
      You also assume that people travel alone, but this isn’t the case. As a family of three, coming home from Brighton during the day is generally £6.50-£7.00 by Uber. Three of us by bus is £9, and that’s because we don’t need to change routes to get home. If we did it would be twice that.
      So an Uber for us is less expensive than a bus.
      Bus travel is there to discourage people from using private transport and reducing motor traffic, but it isn’t doing that. It is supposed to be a public service, but it isn’t that, it’s a money-making racket.

      Reply
  6. Benjamin says:
    10 months ago

    According to their own filings on Companies House, this bus company had profits of just shy of £10,000,000 in the latest reported year.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Short hop bus fares to go up 30%

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
November 2025
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News