• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Changes to listed pub building fall foul of planners

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Monday 10 Nov, 2025 at 11:38PM
A A
4
Changes to listed pub building fall foul of planners

A planning application for new windows, planters and awnings that had already been put in at a Hove pub have been refused on appeal.

The Golden Lion Group applied for retrospective planning permission and listed building consent for the changes at the grade II listed Tapestry, in Victoria Grove, Hove, which fronts Second Avenue.

The company also sought permission for the replacement of the existing white tiles with the new green ones and the painting of a fascia board to match.

And it wanted backing for the sash windows that were fitted in place of the old bi-fold doors, with the widows said to be more in keeping with the Avenues Conservation Area.

The business is owned by the Day family – David, 77, Annette, 74, Leo, 45, and 43-year-old Leanne – and has previously been known as Libation, Crafty Chooks and the Tin Drum.

Brighton and Hove City Council turned down the application in September last year.

The council said: “The awning and planters have eroded the historic significance of the building and added inappropriate architectural features, creating a much more permanent and harmful intervention into the street-scape than was previously the case, with a style and form that is not in keeping with the heritage features of the listed building.

“The works do not preserve or enhance the character of the listed building or conservation area.”

The Golden Lion Group submitted appeal documents prepared by its agent, Lewis and Co Planning, which said that the changes highlighted the change in style from the late-night bar, Libation, to Tapestry, which would be more of a traditional pub.

The appeal statement said: “The works that have been carried out provide for an attractive sitting out area for customers and have also had some physical benefit to the main listed building, effectively the swapping of bi-fold doors for timber sliding sash windows.

“Overall, the works carried out have resulted in a building that is far more attractive within the surrounding street scene than the relatively stark frontage that was previously in situ.”

The planning inspector dismissed the appeal after visiting the site in September and the council published the outcome of the appeal in a report to the Planning Committee last week.

The planning inspector said: “Despite the modest enhancement that I have identified in respect to the windows, I find that, overall, the appeal scheme fails to preserve the special interest of the listed building and the character and appearance of the conservation area as a whole.

“Given the nature and extent of the development and works, I find the harm to the significance of the listed building and (the conservation area) to be ‘less than substantial’ and at the lower end of the scale.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. ChrisC says:
    9 months ago

    Retrospective planing applications especially for a listed building are never a good idea.

    Surely the owners knew that?

    Could have been easily involved if they discussed their plans with the planning department way before work started. Yes there is a fee for that but it would have saved them a lot of money in the long run.

    Reply
  2. ROBERT PATTINSON says:
    9 months ago

    I wish the council would look after the listed structures it is in charge of.

    Reply
    • Ann E Nicky says:
      9 months ago

      I think you will find that this is private property. Planning permission was refused, the appeal rejected yet the owner decided to carry out the works in anticipation of securing permission. Can’t see what else the Council can do.

      Reply
      • Basil Brush says:
        9 months ago

        They are obviously doing a useless job if they can’t even travel back in time to stop this!!!

        Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Changes to listed pub building fall foul of planners

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
November 2025
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News