• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Data protection blamed for licence silence

by Jo Wadsworth
Friday 30 Jan, 2026 at 10:42AM
A A
5
Residents fear month of no sleep after Fringe beer garden sets up 10m from their homes

Spiegelgardens in Valley Gardens, one of the events which drew complaints last year

Residents who have complained about noise and nuisance from events in Valley Gardens were not directly informed about new licensing applications because of data protection, a meeting was told last night.

Dozens of angry residents attended a meeting organised by councillor Maureen Winder on Tuesday evening to explain the council’s plans for holding events this summer in the green spaces between St Peter’s Church and the Old Steine.

The meeting, at the Phoenix Centre in Waterloo Place, was not widely publicised by the council and instead resident Tom Lines printed out flyers and hand delivered them to his neighbours to let them know about it.

Mr Lines said he only knew about the licensing application for St Peter’s Square opposite his house because a neighbour had spotted it on a lamp post.

He had tried to send an email to object, but it had bounced back because he had not seen a full stop. He ended up hand delivering a letter to the town hall.

Hearings are due to take place to decide whether to grant a licence for that area and for the green to the north of St Peter’s Church next month.

Another hearing for Victoria Gardens was cancelled after the sole objector withdrew their objection, leaving it unopposed.

Mr Lines said: “The notice was pinned away over Christmas and New Year in that little corner where it went unseen.

“I have lived here since 1997 and that piece of land has only been used for events in the last 11-12 years, and there’s been no consultation whatsoever.

“It turns St Peter’s Square into a rock arena, and our houses are in the grandstand.

“In 2018 and 2024, there were consultations about changing the roads and we were sent long forms. We have never heard anything about this.”

The council’s cabinet member for tourism Birgit Miller said: “We can’t afford the costs of the post or even the printing. Because of GDPR we have to use email addresses for the purposes they are provided.

“There have been licensing notices.”

She added: “If we were to shut down the Fringe and Festival events and say it cannot be anything but a park, I would get abuse from business owners, hotel owners, cafe owners. They depend on these events.

“Tourism is 16 per cent of our economy. There are thousands of people who depend on the sector for their jobs. It’s not just people wanting to have fun – it’s core to our whole economy.”

Another resident answered: “Brighton Festival isn’t just [Valley Gardens] – there’s lots of bits which are in suitable venues like the Dome, brick buildings, music venues.

“To say it’s because of the park is completely wrong. We are not objecting to the whole festival and things taking place in buildings where there’s proper soundproofing, we are objecting to things taking place where there’s no soundproofing and completely surrounded by residents.”

And another said: “My two grandchildren were kept awake at night well after 2am because of the noise. We went over and asked them to turn it down and they turned it up.”

Ian Baird said: “Up until last year a standard licence was in place that applied to the entirety of Valley Gardens which was not working. We cannot apply a single view for the entirety of that space.

“Extended hours have remained at Victoria Gardens – which is just the widest part between the Queen Victoria statue and the Mazda Fountain.

“There is a condition that any music or amplified noise cannot be audible within neighbouring properties. They will take measurements within properties and we will set those levels in advance.

“It’s really important we have some open green space so we have removed all licensing from Victoria Gardens North [where Spiegelgarden was sited last year].

“Richmond Square [where the old public toilets are] and St Peter’s Square have a particular problem with noise travelling up the hill, so we have planned to have .. a children’s circus there this year. For various reasons that circus cannot come this year.

“With the area behind St Peter’s Church, we experienced really serious problem with the way Caravenserai was managed there in the past.

“We are keen to see an activation in that space because it gives a chance for smaller events companies and organisation within the city, but we are aware that needs to be done in a way which reflects the area in which it sits.

“The same condition sits on the item that it cannot be audible within properties outside after 11pm.”

After one resident asked why a condition couldn’t be imposed simply requiring all amplified noise to be turned off after 11pm, cabinet member for recreation Alan Robins said that seemed like a reasonable request and said the council would consider it.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 5

  1. Sickofidiots says:
    3 weeks ago

    Try to move asap. Its a scuzz filled dump round there now.

    Reply
  2. Patcham Guy says:
    3 weeks ago

    I agree these events should be held in proper venues, not in makeshift shanty towns. It’s partly because of these events that sick of idiots is right. No one would complain if refused permission, if they do, tough.

    Reply
  3. Brighton resident.. says:
    3 weeks ago

    Why don’t BHCC use Black Rock for these events. It’s empty… It’s away from housing… it has good road links and has a nearby car park…

    Only a thought…

    Reply
    • MikeyA says:
      3 weeks ago

      Thinking is anathema to BHCC…

      Reply
    • Chris says:
      3 weeks ago

      Oh, is it finished? It doesn’t look anything like the pictures that the council had on billboards and pamphlets.

      Reply

Leave a Reply to MikeyA Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Café can become gym after plans approved

Four surgeries set to move into new medical centre

School building to become temporary charity hub

Data protection blamed for licence silence

Man arrested for perverting justice in Cityclean investigation

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

New mural encourages tourists into the North Laine

Hove man given ‘slavery and trafficking risk order’

Hedges to go at King Alfred as demolition prep-work continues

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

19 February 2026
Please Do Not Touch Preview

Please Do Not Touch Preview

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
January 2026
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News