• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Thousands sign petition aimed at saving day centre

Councillors warned that closure would soon prove to be a false economy

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Friday 27 Mar, 2026 at 9:21PM
A A
9
Parents and carers protest about proposal to close day centre

Some of the protesters campaigning to save Wellington House Day Centre from closure outside Hove Town Hall

More than 3,000 people have signed a petition opposing the proposed closure of the Wellington House day centre, in Brighton.

Cathy Cooper, whose daughter uses the day centre, presented the petition at a Brighton and Hove City Council meeting yesterday (Thursday 26 March).

The council wants to close Wellington House to save £400,000 but Mrs Cooper warned that it would be a false economy, costing the council more than it would save.

Parents and carers fear that, without the respite they have thanks to the day centre, some would no longer be able to cope with the demands of looking after their loved ones.

Instead, the council would be required to fund round-the-clock care that, even just for a few people, could far outweigh the £400,000 saving.

At Hove Town Hall yesterday, Mrs Cooper told councillors that many felt as though the decision to close the day centre had already been made before the budget vote last month.

Families have been promised a 12-week consultation, starting next month, after the budget vote to save £400,000 by closing the day centre, in Wellington Street, Brighton.

Conservative councillor Carol Theobald said that the proposal came 10 years after Labour justified the closure of the Belgrave Day Centre, in Portslade, by saying that care would be provided at Wellington House instead.

Councillor Theobald, who serves as the president of Mencap Brighton and Hove, said that she had heard from concerned families at her ward surgeries.

She said: “If the council closes Wellington House, this will result in families losing their respite time – and some may have to place their family member in the care of the local authority.

“In the families’ view, private providers would not be able to provide the same level of service and it could be more expensive.”

Mrs Cooper said that those attending the day centre had severe learning difficulties, autism, sensory issues and epilepsy, with many unable to speak.

She said: “Wellington House staff have the expertise and experience to safely deliver a service that provides enrichment and social opportunities to this vulnerable group.

“The staff are specialists in de-escalation and safety. They cannot easily be replaced. In our experience, independent providers are unable or unwilling to take on this level of care.”

Labour councillor Mitchie Alexander, the council’s cabinet member for communities, equalities, public health and adult social care, said that she understood the process was “unsettling” for parents, carers and day centre users.

Councillor Alexander said that the consultation and impact assessments could not begin until the budget had been passed.

She said: “A decision has not yet been made and will only be made after the full consultation has been completed.

“We, as a local authority, are 100 per cent confident that there are places in the city and each for every one of the 21 adults who currently go to Wellington House.”

Mrs Cooper said that others were due to leave full-time education in a few months’ time and they might have been expected to receive day care at Wellington House.

Councillor Alexander said that independent providers could and did provide the services highlighted in the petition.

Green councillor Raphael Hill said: “Even if, on paper, the independent sector can provide the same quality of care, you can’t replicate long-term relationships that have managed to build trust and that sense of being a second family over time.

“Human relationships don’t work like that. Let’s not forget also that there are current service users who will not understand this proposal.”

Brighton and Hove Independent councillor Mark Earthey received applause from the public gallery when he said that he had no faith in the independent sector providing the necessary care.

He said: “They wouldn’t be willing or able – and if they were, the costs would be absolutely astronomical.

“It’s a cut by any other means. Can we keep it and stop eroding the fabric of social care in our society?”

Councillor Alexander said that the community and voluntary sector were surprised that it had taken so long to redesign commissioning for people with learning disabilities, 180 of whom attend day services with other providers.

One petition supporter seemed surprised to hear this and said outside the meeting that other providers mainly catered for people with less complex needs.

Councillors voted unanimously to note the petition.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 9

  1. Al Wils says:
    5 months ago

    What do union members pay unison for? They are completely powerless.

    Reply
  2. Melanie Blake says:
    5 months ago

    The Community learning disability team in Brighton & Hove, does nothing but cut Services. It must have a million managers, and no social workers. Deliberately so that no one ever gets a package of Care that they have to pay for. £400,000 is a tiny amount in terms of what their budget is., And I totally agree with the parents, that it’s a false economy. People’s mental health will deteriorate, both service users and Carers, and they will end up having to live in residential care. Now that really will cost a lot of money. That £400,000 might just pay for a couple of people. This is a ridiculous idea and actually really quite cruel. Nothing new from this team.

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      5 months ago

      Mental Health is such a rabbit hole to go down as well. Like, I think we need to teach resilience formally in schools as a preventative measure.

      Reply
      • Tracy Ward says:
        5 months ago

        Says someone who clearly has no experience of working with people with mental health issues or learning disabilities and has no idea what they are talking about.

        Reply
        • Benjamin says:
          5 months ago

          Incorrect on both fronts. Next allegation?

          Reply
          • DS says:
            5 months ago

            Benjamin, I am sorry to see that you have attracted an interesting following in the comment section of Brighton and Hove News. Just so you know, I always read your comments as being well thought out and respectful. Don’t let the others get you down!

            Back on topic, I signed the petition to save Welly House and I am hopeful that the campaign is successful.

          • Benjamin says:
            5 months ago

            Thanks, DS! It keeps the website entertaining, I’m sure. I should rein myself in a bit sometimes, though.

            I think this campaign has given itself the best possible chance. The concerns have been well articulated, and there have been some very reasonable and constructive discussions around what the alternatives pose and mean.

            Personally, I’d push back gently on underestimating the independent sector; my professional experience is that they can ofter exceptional care and support, and being decoupled from the council can be a benefit. However, it’s very right that this is explored carefully and in detail before it is decided, and the option of not proceeding remains throughout.

            Ideally, I want the government to make better funding available to councils, so decisions like this don’t have to be considered in the first place. I am keen to see health provision being a core topic in what devolution looks like in Sussex, to that aim.

  3. Tracy Ward says:
    5 months ago

    Another despicable anti-resident decision brought to you by Brighton and Hove’s Labour City Council. You’d think they’d be in seduction mode by now flirting for votes for May 2027, but no, their mission to be the most unpopular council administration in living memory continues. Whatever happened to the Labour my parents and grandparents devoted their lives to? They would not recognise this one.

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      5 months ago

      Your parents and grandparents would probably point to how a decision hasn’t been made here yet.

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Thousands sign petition aimed at saving day centre

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Conservation charity urges companies to use native wildflowers in displays

Grieving parents concerned as maternity services told to improve again

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
March 2026
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News