• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Objectors try to prevent former post office from becoming off-licence

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Wednesday 22 Apr, 2026 at 12:18AM
A A
6
Objectors try to prevent former post office from becoming off-licence

Neighbours, nearby businesses, police and council officials have objected to an application to sell alcohol at a new convenience store at a former post office site.

As a result, Brighton and Hove City Council plans to hold a licensing panel hearing to decide the matter.

The application was submitted by Eyad Mwoas, 45, who wants to sell drink from 8am to 11pm at 80 Islingword Road, Brighton, trading as Islingword Convenience.

The licensing panel hearing has been scheduled for Wednesday 29 April when a panel of three councillors is expected to decide the application.

Mr Eyad also owns Pop In Shop, in West Street, and the Village Convenience Store, in South Street, Portslade.

The new premises is in an area which, the council said, was already saturated with businesses selling alcohol.

As a result, the council has a policy of refusing new off-licences in the area unless the operator can show exceptional circumstances.

One anonymous objector, whose details were redacted by the council, is the owner of a rival off-licence and lists seven other nearby off-licences as well as a taproom and numerous pubs.

The objector said: “In my experience, the cumulative impact of these premises contributes to issues such as street drinking, anti-social behaviour and alcohol-related nuisance, particularly during the evenings.

“The premises is also located close to Lewes Road, an area which is well recognised by the council as experiencing problems associated with a high density of off-licences and alcohol-related issues.”

Another anonymous nearby business owner who also objected said: “The area has a significant student population which can increase late-night activity and alcohol-related disturbance.

“This adds to concerns regarding public nuisance and disorder.”

Both also raised concerns about the nearby primary schools and a nursery.

An anonymous resident was worried about potential under-age sales and asked for assurances that the council had checked Mr Eyad’s record as a licence holder.

The neighbour. whose details were redacted, said: “The shop used to be a post office and was previously denied a licence to sell alcohol.

“There is already a shop just up the road which has always sold alcohol and so I see no reason why we need another.”

Sussex Police objected to the application because it would add another business selling alcohol close to The Level and Lewes Road.

An anonymous police officer, whose name was also kept secret by the council, said: “Increasing the availability of alcohol could have a further negative impact within an area that already suffers from crime and disorder.

“There is also the risk of alcohol being consumed within open spaces increasing anti-social behaviour and proxy sales to children and alcohol-dependent persons.”

The anonymous officer cited statistics within a radius of about 600 yards, including Lewes Road and The Level, suggesting that there were 232 violent crimes, 232 thefts and 43 public order offences over the previous year.

In the immediate area, within a radius of less than 400 yards from the business, there were 33 violent crimes, 24 thefts and six public order offences in the same period.

Council licensing officials objected to the application because it breached policy.

The licensing panel hearing is scheduled to be webcast from 10am on Wednesday 29 April.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 6

  1. Ali Bongo says:
    4 months ago

    Maybe the councillors would like to walk from Lewes rd to the top of Islingword Road and then realise they are a long way apart.
    So the objectors would prefer an empty building, or maybe a barber, nail shop or more vapes?

    Reply
    • Justin Time says:
      4 months ago

      Or it could be converted back to residential? Goodness knows, Brighton needs more residential property.

      Reply
    • UB says:
      4 months ago

      I expect they would prefer a convenience store that doesn’t sell alcohol.

      Reply
  2. R says:
    4 months ago

    That old post office was not allowed to sell alcohol and the location of these premises, is next to a pub on one side that is open for around 12 hours a day most days, and on the other side a doctors surgery, local pharmacy and a fast food place that’s just had a hygiene rating of 0. And 160 meters just up from this location, on Queens Park Road is a Londis that has been selling alcohol for years.
    I don’t live in the area but know it well due to relatives living close to the area and using the old post office, doctors and pharmacy regularly.
    If the council, Licensing & planning committee grant this… then this is just ridiculous.
    Why is every convenience store that pops up in and around Brighton & Hove, automatically think they can apply for an alcohol licence when previous businesses have been denied.
    We have enough people in and around the city with addiction issues.
    There really is no need for this to be up for debate or discussion. It should be a No and that be final!

    Reply
  3. Stan Reid says:
    4 months ago

    Surprise surprise, another booze palace on the way

    Reply
  4. Georgina Hems says:
    4 months ago

    lewes road and the level! imagine you are on the level or lewes road and you want a beer and you say “no i wont go to a shop that is near me i will climb a really steep hill to get one”! that is a ridiculos objection!

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Objectors try to prevent former post office from becoming off-licence

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Conservation charity urges companies to use native wildflowers in displays

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Grieving parents concerned as maternity services told to improve again

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
April 2026
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News