• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Father who died off Shoreham coast was Palestinian refugee

by PA report
Wednesday 19 Aug, 2026 at 3:58PM
A A
0
Father who died off Shoreham coast was Palestinian refugee

A woman places flowers on a lifebuoy at the beach in Shoreham-by-Sea, West Sussex. A father who died alongside a woman and a teenage girl after entering the sea off the Sussex coast was a Palestinian refugee called Hossam Al-Khawas, the Palestinian embassy has said. Mr Al-Khawas is thought to have gone into the water to swim with three other family members near Shoreham Fort in Shoreham-by-Sea, West Sussex, on Tuesday afternoon. Picture date: Wednesday August 19, 2026. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: Yui Mok/PA Wire

A Palestinian refugee, his partner and their teenage daughter who died after getting into difficulty in the sea off Shoreham have been named by police.

Hassan El-Khawas, 55, his partner Zeina Alayn, 37, and their 14-year-old daughter Sara El-Khawas are thought to have gone into the water to swim alongside a young female family member near Shoreham Fort in Shoreham-by-Sea, West Sussex, on Tuesday afternoon.

Police, paramedics, coastguard crews and a lifeboat went to the scene where four people were pulled from the water.

Three were pronounced dead on Tuesday, while the young girl remains in hospital in a critical condition.

It is understood the family travelled from their home in London to visit Shoreham, officers said.

Sussex Police said its investigation remains open, but after a review of CCTV footage and initial witness accounts, it is currently thought the deaths were a tragic accident, with no third-party involvement.

Sources have said there is currently no evidence to suggest a fishing net was involved.

Earlier on Wednesday, the Palestinian embassy said Mr El-Khawas was a Palestinian refugee from the Rashidieh Camp in Lebanon but did not give details about the other family members.

Rashidieh Camp is on the Mediterranean coast in southern Lebanon and is one of the most populous Palestinian refugee camps in the country.

The older part of the camp was built by the French government in 1936 to accommodate Armenian refugees who fled to Lebanon, while the newer part was built by United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East in 1963 for Palestine refugees, according to the agency.

In a statement on Facebook, the Palestinian embassy said it was “closely monitoring the incident”.

It added: “As the embassy extends its deepest condolences and sympathy to the victims’ family, their loved ones, and members of the Palestinian community in the United Kingdom in this painful affliction, it wishes the injured girl a speedy recovery.”

Prime Minister Andy Burnham warned of the dangers of open water swimming after the incident, which he described as “a terrible family tragedy”.

He said: “The thing I can say today – and there is still, I think, a further heatwave to come in this summer period – it is just to remind people about the dangers of open water swimming.

“The coldness, even when it feels hot outside, it can shock people and that can cause the difficulties. So people just need to remember that at all times.

“I do need to praise the emergency services who I know were on scene very quickly yesterday. They’ve had a busy summer but they were there and we thank them.”

The family are believed to have entered the water near to the 19th century Shoreham Fort on the harbour.

Video footage showed a number of emergency services searching an area of water near to an arm of the harbour where the River Adur meets the sea.

Chief Superintendent James Collis said: “The events of Tuesday afternoon are a heartbreaking tragedy which has devastated a family and their friends and had a profound impact on the Shoreham community.

“The thoughts of all at Sussex Police remain with the family’s loved ones as we work with our partners, including HM Coroner, to understand exactly how this incident occurred.

“The emergency response was significant, and I would like to thank all of the first responders for their determined attempts to save all four people, as well as the wider public for their patience during the incident.

“We will release further updates as soon as we are able, but we ask the family are given the privacy they deserve at this incredibly difficult time.”

The force said it will prepare a file for the coroner ahead of any inquest.

Nearby residents told of their shock at the tragedy and their concerns for the girl fighting for her life.

Joss Loader, who lives nearby and represents Shoreham Beach Residents’ Association on Adur District Council, said: “There’s just a really strong sense of shock, obviously people are really concerned for the young girl.

“It’s school holidays and we have had a wonderful summer so the beaches have been packed with families.

“The weather was quite calm, not as hot as recent days but it was a perfectly normal day.

“People swim from those beaches even in the winter, generally it is considered as safe as the sea can be. You wouldn’t be swimming there and think you were taking a risk.”

But others warned that swimming at Shoreham can be dangerous.

Anna Peacock, 81, who lives near Kingston Beach across the water from Shoreham Fort, said: “People come down to swim, particularly in the summertime, and I don’t think they realise there’s a riptide along here.

“It’s very inviting to come to the sea, but the tide could carry you out in seconds, and I don’t think people have realised that.”

Robina Baine, also an Adur councillor who represents the Southwick Green ward where the RNLI lifeboat station is, said: “These events are absolutely tragic and our thoughts are with the family and friends that have lost their loved ones.

“I have been here for 46 years and this is the most tragic incident there has been.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Father who died off Shoreham coast was Palestinian refugee

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
August 2026
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Jul    

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News