• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Concerns raised about closure of mental health beds in Hove

by Frank le Duc
Saturday 1 Oct, 2011 at 6:08PM
A A
1

Health chiefs have been asked for more details about their plans to close 19 beds for mental health patients in Hove.

The changes would affect people being treated at Mill View Hospital and the Nevill Hospital in Hangleton, reducing capacity in Brighton and Hove to 76 remaining beds.

The £1.2 million saving would be spent on improving community services, Sussex Partnership Foundation Trust said.

The trust said that it had been working hard to treat people at home whenever possible.

It said that the longer patients spent in hospital the more likely they were to lose their job, their friends, their confidence and their independence.

Brighton and Hove City Council members raised concerns about the changes and asked for more information at a meeting of the council’s Health Overview and Scrutiny Committee.

Councillor Dawn Barnett, who represents Hangleton and Knoll, said that there were not enough community psychiatric nurses to deal with the current number of patients being treated at home even before the proposed changes.

She wondered whether Sussex Partnership wanted to consolidate in-patient services on the site within Mill View so that the Nevill Hospital lease could be terminated.

Richard Ford, the trust’s executive director of strategic development, said that discussions around the lease risked straying into areas of commercial confidence.

But he added that if the trust had too few beds it would end up footing the bill for patients being treated in private hospitals.

Sam Allen, service director, said that the trust had worked hard to tackle delayed discharges and reduce the average length of time that patients spent in hospital.

Separately, Sussex Partnership board members were updated about the trust’s efforts to save £14 million this year at a board meeting on Wednesday (28 September).

Money-saving measures include freezing non-essential vacancies, cutting travel and utility costs and moving out of some of the trust’s older and more expensive buildings.

The trust has previously said that decisions about finances and service provision would be dictated by clinical need.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Alessia Fioranzi says:
    15 years ago

    Crossroads Care East Sussex Brighton & Hove have been awarded a large donation of £20k from the comedian Jack Whitehall, and his father Michael Whitehall, after their win on
    The Million Pound Drop Live on Thursday evening.

    The Million Pound Drop Live, hosted by Davina McCall, invites celebrity contestants to enter for the chance to win up to £1 million for the charities of their choice. At the beginning of the show contestants are given £1 million, but have to gamble the money each time they are asked one of eight nail-biting questions. Contestants can place all their money on one answer or spread the risk, but if their money is on the wrong answer, it will be lost forever. One wrong move could literally see thousands of pounds drop through the floor.

    Already this series Vernon Kay and his best friend Luke lost out on all the prize money by Question 6.

    Jack and Michael were thankfully much more successful, and won a total of £300k on Thursday’s show, of which they decided to donate £20k to Crossroads Care East Sussex Brighton & Hove.

    We would like to give a big thank you to Jack and Michael for choosing to support carers in East Sussex Brighton & Hove, through Crossroads from all at Crossroads Care

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Concerns raised about closure of mental health beds in Hove

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
October 2011
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News