• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

New checks for smouldering bbqs in litter bins to be implemented next month in light of Hollingdean blaze

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 25 Feb, 2020 at 11:25AM
A A
2
New checks for smouldering bbqs in litter bins to be implemented next month in light of Hollingdean blaze

New protocols for checking seafront litter bins for smouldering bbq embers are being drawn up in response to the blaze at the Hollingdean tip last year.

A report published this week says the fire started in waste collected from standard litter bins along the beach from Madeira Drive, Lower Prom, Hove Prom and Kings Esplanade on the evening of 25 August.

Although the driver followed the standard procedure of checking the bagged rubbish – looking for any bulky bbq outlines and feeling how hot it was – it wasn’t enough to detect the embers which later ignited the fire.

However, Cityclean says although it will review its procedures and new guidelines will be implemented next month, it’s not possible to completely eradicate the risk.

Smoke billowing from the waste transfer site as firefighters arrived

Two reports into the blaze have been published ahead of a public meeting at 6pm tomorrow with residents at Downs Infant School.

The report by Veolia, the private contractor which runs the site, says tackling the blaze was made more difficult as the firefighters were not aware of the different levels within the waste transfer station.

There was also difficulty gaining access to the area where the blaze had taken hold, as the doors were not working and when firefighters cut through there was bulky waste in the way.

The report says the load was tipped at 9.21pm, just before staff left the building and the lights were turned off.

It wasn’t until 10.16pm that smoke or flames became visible on the camera, and at 10.37pm the flames flare up, probably when they caught an aerosol or battery.

It wasn’t until 10.49pm that the fire alarms were activated, and the fire service arrived ten minutes after that.

CCTV showing the blaze at the point at which the alarms were activated

It also says that there was more waste in the site than usual as it was a Sunday, when the Newhaven incinerator is closed.

The Veolia report says it will consider whether to quarantine street loads deposited at the end of the day.

Its recommendations also include reviewing the fire detection system, asking Newhaven incinerator to accept waste at the weekend, how doors can be opened during a fire and how flammable and bulky waste is stored, and making it clearer to the fire service that the site is split level.

The council’s own report says: “There is no evidence that the driver on the night in question was carrying out his duties in a way that diverged from what is normal Cityclean practice.

“The risk of  bbqs and other fire risk items is well understood by the driver and supervisor and checks are undertaken where it is practical to do so.

“It is concluded that in a regular street bin it would be very difficult to identify an ember with low temperature output and no obvious visual indicator.

“The situation becomes even more challenging when applied to domestic waste collections and the hot load is contained within other waste.

“Whilst it is possible to minimise the risk of hot load in litter bins, it is not possible to eradicate the risk entirely.

“Better training and communication with the public will help support the appropriate disposal of hot loads.”

Its procedure for dedicated bbq bins, which are left until the morning when they are collected separately and individually and placed in a caged van, will remain unchanged.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Christopher Hawtree says:
    6 years ago

    A mystery to me why people should want to cook badly on the beach. Better, all round, with sandwiches, salad. A hamper rather than a tin-foil tray.

    Reply
  2. bradly1 says:
    6 years ago

    1: put bbq tray in hamper plus pork chipolatas
    2: travel to Hove Lawns in SUV
    3: unpack, light up with much meth
    4: burn the wicker hamper from Harrods
    5: eat and quaff

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

New checks for smouldering bbqs in litter bins to be implemented next month in light of Hollingdean blaze

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
February 2020
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
242526272829  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News