• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Student flats approved by stripped-down planning committee

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 24 Mar, 2020 at 1:21PM
A A
1
Student flats approved by stripped-down planning committee


Plans for two blocks of student flats on a garage site have been approved by a stripped down planning committee despite fears they are too large.

Ninety-one studio flats are planned for the one to five-storey blocks on an irregular shaped plot behind terraced houses in Hollingdean Road, Brighton.

The committee consisted of just the chair, Labour’s Tracey Hill, Green councillor Sue Shanks and Conservative councillor Joe Miller, who voted two to one to approve the application at Hove Town Hall on Monday, 23 March.

A previous development off 88 studios was refused in March 2019 because it was too large, it overlooked neighbouring houses, had poor access onto the road and lacked disabled parking.

This time the number of flats is larger, but so is the site as the developer SE Properties Ltd has bought three neighbouring houses which it will demolish to make way for the new build.

Despite this, planning officers asked councillors to reject the scheme for similar reasons. They were also concerned that no university or college is officially interested in sending students to the blocks.

But the developer’s planning consultant, Simon Bannister from Lewis and Co, told the committee the company had made “soft approaches” to colleges.

He reminded the committee there are several other purpose-built student houses in the area, including Hollingdean House further up the same street and Vogue House on the gyratory.

Mr Bannister said: “This is high-quality student housing which helps to address the significant shortage of student accommodation in Brighton.

“There is huge pressure on family homes. This student built accommodation is taking the pressure off, and this was acknowledged by the executive director for housing at the Audit and Standards Committee.”

Councillor Miller backed the scheme last year and voted for it again.

He said: “It’s much-needed accommodation in our city.

“We are seeing our HMO (houses in multiple occupancy) increases fall off, which is welcome.

“I also think students are better managed in purpose-built blocks.”

Councillor Shanks was torn but voted for the scheme after deciding it was worthwhile “on balance”.

She said: “It is the application we have got.

“It might not be quite what we want, but we seem to have gone around the houses with it, and we need student accommodation.”

Councillor Hills was the only one to vote against it.

She said: “We have an application that has more of an impact on the properties that are already there. We shouldn’t say that it’s okay.

“The previous one stepped back and this one doesn’t. It’s just too big at the front.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. kelly says:
    6 years ago

    this money should be used to build huge council flats

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Student flats approved by stripped-down planning committee

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Lewes line to reopen next month

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
March 2020
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News