• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Police challenge Brighton takeaway bosses’ request for late-night licence to sell beer

by Frank le Duc
Monday 18 Jan, 2021 at 7:34PM
A A
0
Police challenge Brighton takeaway bosses’ request for late-night licence to sell beer

Police have opposed an application for a drinks and late-night refreshment licence by the people running a new takeaway in Whitehawk.

The owners of Portos Grill, in Arundel Road, Brighton, want to be able to sell beer and peri peri chicken until midnight from the old Fabric Warehouse premises.

Sussex Police licensing officer Hannah Staplehurst was concerned about the adverse effects on levels of crime and anti-social behaviour, adding to the strain on the police.

She spoke out at a Brighton and Hove City Council licensing panel today (Thursday 14 January), saying: “Granting a new late-night refreshment licence with on and off-sales of alcohol could lead to people congregating in this area after an evening out in the city.

“This is proven by calls to police by other licensed premises in the area experiencing issues such as anti-social behaviour, caused by intoxicated members of the public, and the police having to assist in detaining people or moving people on.”

There were three other licensed businesses in Arundel Road, the panel was told, with a nearby off-licence in Whitehawk Road and alcohol available from a convenience store and Co-op.

One of the three members of the licensing panel, Conservative councillor Dee Simson, asked about a business closing after an affray. Ms Staplehurst said that there were previously issues at a nearby pub.

Councillor Simson was concerned about the lack of conditions on the proposed licence, saying that it should be “tied down” to a food-led operation.

Green councillor Lizzie Deane, who chaired the panel, asked if the owners would accept a ban on spirit sales.

Sandra Aguiar, a director of Portos Grill owner KL Direct, told the panel that she would be happy to accept “restaurant conditions” and to be able to sell beer and wine only.

She said that the takeaway was intended to be mid-market, like Nandos, and the owners just wanted to offer customers the chance to buy a beer with their meal.

She said that any customer would have to buy a full meal to drink alcohol, not just a bag of chips.

Ms Aguiar said: “We don’t think we’re going to attract the wrong crowd you’re concerned about.

“Our offer is premium. Our prices are not cheap. You can’t buy anything cheaper than £7. We don’t intend to act as an off-licence or bar.”

She said that if people just wanted to buy a beer, they would be more likely to go to nearby Lidl or one of the off-licences in the area.

Even though the application was until midnight, Ms Aguiar said that the plan was to offer deliveries only after 10pm.

Once the business was operating, Ms Aguiar was expected to be the “designated premises supervisor”, with day-to-day responsibility for drink sales.

She told the panel that she was a personal licence holder and had 15 years’ experience working in the restaurant and catering industry.

The panel retired to make its decision which will is due to be made public within five working days.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Police challenge Brighton takeaway bosses’ request for late-night licence to sell beer

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Firefighters urge people to avoid dangerous aerosol trend

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Load More
January 2021
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News