• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
24 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Arts and Culture

Police investigate ‘theft’ of historic Brighton seafront street lamps

by Frank le Duc
Monday 25 Jan, 2021 at 8:58PM
A A
3
Listed dolphins left in field raises concerns over safekeeping of city’s cast iron heritage

The old cast-iron lamp posts are part of the appeal of Brighton seafront

The police have been asked to investigate how two historic Brighton seafront street lamps ended up for sale on the internet.

Green councillor Marianna Ebel shared the news at a virtual meeting where councillors debated how to protect other “heritage assets”.

Councillor Ebel said: “Theft is a police matter after all.”

She was responding to a motion by Conservative councillor Robert Nemeth which was prompted by the incident involving the old lanterns last year.

Councillor Nemeth asked for a report into the possibility of setting up a group to help list all council heritage assets, whether in their original position, in storage or undergoing repair.

In November, Brighton and Hove News reported how 19th century cast iron dolphins – from Amon Henry Wilds’s grade II listed Victoria Fountain in the Old Steine – were dumped in a field at Stanmer Park and other items were on sale at a salvage yard in Burgess Hill.

Councillor Nemeth said: “Stories of items going missing and often popping up as garden ornaments go back years and do not tally with the aims of a city that wishes to promote and protect a beautiful public realm in which we all have a stake.

“Creating some sort of list or register seems to be an obvious solution.

“This proposal is about publicly accessible predominantly exterior items that fall within the ownership of the council.

“The list should include all manner of different items and be blind to ‘listed’ or ‘locally listed’ status.

“It would be separate to existing lists of museum items and the asset list of the council generally.”

He suggested items as varied as seafront railings, boundary stones, historic street signs and area nameplates.

The old cast-iron lamp posts are part of the appeal of Brighton seafront

Fellow Conservative Mary Mears backed Councillor Nemeth and said that a concerned resident who contacted the council about the lanterns being for sale on Facebook was told that it was “fake news”.

Councillor Mears said: “For this council to allow a volunteer group to be set up to review our assets shows openness and transparency to the residents of our city and sends a very clear message that this council cares.”

Labour councillor Amanda Grimshaw said that the council could offer items that were no longer wanted to local museums.

It could, she said, also allow the public to buy unwanted street furniture that had been removed if it was not wanted for public display.

Councillor Grimshaw said: “The city’s residents and visitors are looking to the council to act in the best interests of the city’s historic fabric.

“Local government bears the greatest part of the responsibility for care and conservation of our historic environment.

The listed dolphins once formed part of the Victoria Fountain in the city

“Many items fall into assets of established community value and assets that give an area a sense of place and neighbourhood feel.

“Many may already be included in the historic environment record and the council’s list of local heritage assets. This could be added to further.”

She told a meeting of the full council on Friday (22 January) that it would be foolish to ignore the concern that residents have for historic assets, citing more than 52,000 members of the Brighton Past Facebook group as an example.

A report is due to be prepared for the council’s Tourism, Equalities, Communities and Culture Committee about the possibility of setting up a list of community assets.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 3

  1. Profits from Our Heritage says:
    6 years ago

    How much of the West Pier ended up on Ebay and Auction sites?

    Reply
  2. Paul F Williams says:
    6 years ago

    When are they going back up again.
    And are they going to replace the stolen/lost ones?
    How do they intend to safeguard heritage assets in future so this NEVER happens again?
    We demand answers, Council!

    Reply
  3. Nick Moore says:
    6 years ago

    If historic items go missing from the Seafront then the Sussex Police will have camera footage which can be interrogated to see when and possibly how these items went missing!

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Police investigate ‘theft’ of historic Brighton seafront street lamps

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion rout Aston Villa in opening game

Brighton and Hove Albion rout Aston Villa in opening game

by Edward Elliot - PA
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 4 Aston Villa 0 Jack Hinshelwood struck twice in two first-half minutes as a rampant Brighton...

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Load More
January 2021
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Drug line controller jailed for seven years 23 August 2026
  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News