• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
24 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Afghan war veteran who held up Brighton burger bar sent home to mum for one last chance

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 18 Feb, 2021 at 1:15AM
A A
0
White van man jailed for being five times the drink drive limit in Brighton

The courthouse in Brighton

A former soldier who served in Afghanistan robbed a burger bar on Brighton seafront last summer, threatening to throw acid over the women working there.

He escaped with just £80 because the vast majority of diners had paid using contactless debit cards.

Rowan Hudson, 32, formerly of The Drive, Hove, and Spencer Avenue, in Hangleton, pleaded guilty to robbery – and to an earlier attempted robbery at a Brighton coffee shop – when he appeared before a judge.

But when he was brought for sentence from Lewes prison, he was “clearly agitated” in a way that prompted questions about whether he was under the influence of drugs.

Brighton Crown Court was told yesterday (Wednesday 17 February) that he was kept in a cell for at least 23 hours a day with no drug rehabilitation – or treatment for the post-traumatic stress suffered while serving his country.

Charles Drinnan, prosecuting, said that Hudson should be jailed, with a starting point of four years, according to the sentencing guidelines for robbery. The term should be between three and six years, he said, given the nature of the offences.

Mr Drinnan said that a mother with her child had confronted Hudson when he tried to rob Costa Coffee in London Road, Brighton, last August.

Hudson, who also previously lived in Mayfield Close, Patcham, dropped the till and fled but just over 90 minutes later, shortly before 1pm, he held up the Burger King in King’s Road, on Brighton seafront.

Again, he threatened the women working there, saying that he would throw acid over them if they didn’t give him the money in the tills.

He appeared to have a container, the prosecutor said, and the supervisor told police that “she really believed that he was going to throw acid over her”.

Hudson even spoke to one of the children in the burger bar, Mr Drinnan said, and one child was reported to have said: “Mum, we need to leave. He’s got acid.”

Mr Drinnan said that when Hudson was arrested, the police asked him whether he had taken drugs or alcohol and he replied that he’d had “shitloads”.

The judge said that the staff and customers must have been terrified and that these were “very serious and a desperate escalation from his previous offending”.

But Matthew Simpson said in mitigation that there was more chance of Hudson being rehabilitated – and staying off drugs – if he was given a suspended prison sentence.

Mr Simpson said: “Working in night clubs and working in security guard led to this situation.”

He suffered serious trauma in childhood when his step-father killed himself and again when serving in the Army in Afghanistan, Mr Skimpson said.

He lost his wife and access to his children – and the court was told that he had suffered episodes of psychosis and that he was not always stable.

Judge Barnes said that in sentencing Hudson, she had a duty not only to punish him for his crimes but to protect the public.

Mr Simpson said that treatment for his “huge drug addiction” was available in the community but not in prison and that this would be the best way to reduce the risk that he posed to the public, with the threat of a suspended prison sentence hanging over him.

Since his arrest Hudson had served six months in custody – the equivalent of a year’s prison sentence – Mr Simpson said.

As a result he had lost his home but his mother, who lived in Brighton, would take him in, Mr Simpson added.

Judge Barnes said: “When did you last speak to your mum?”

Judge Shani Barnes

Hudson said: “Last week. I speak to her every week.”

The judge said: “What’s your mum’s view?”

Hudson said: “She just wants what’s best for me like everyone who loves me does. She said I could stay there.”

Judge Barnes said that if she imposed a suspended sentence and he so much as failed to answer the phone to the probation service, “you will be straight off to prison.”

She added: “Do I have your promise that you will go straight home to your mum?

“These were terrifying offences for those who were on the premises. Threatening to throw acid in the face of those women behind the counter is extremely serious.

Burger King on Brighton seafront

“You have had a traumatic life – as many do. But many don’t commit crime.

“I cannot ignore the serious trauma that you suffered as an eight-year-old, creating this rage in you.

“Serving your country from 2006 to 2013 is something that we have a huge respect for. You will undoubtedly have seen horrendous things in your service.

“You came out of the Army suffering from post-traumatic stress and lost your marriage and you haven’t seen your children.”

She said that she could “take an exceptional step” and that “keeping people in custody” was justified “only when it is absolutely essential”.

She imposed a two-year prison sentence suspended for two years and nine months of drug rehab.

The judge added: “This is a turning point for you … I’m giving you this last opportunity. Do not come back in front of me. There will not be another chance.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Former Brighton teacher awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

Afghan war veteran who held up Brighton burger bar sent home to mum for one last chance

Phone-free restaurant finds permanent home

New bus route to start next month

Opposition overlooked and left in the dark, says councillor

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Hospital marks £860m project’s helipad and cancer milestones

Missing boy found safe

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Max Cooper announces two 3D/AV shows

Max Cooper announces two 3D/AV shows

24 May 2026
Here’s a night out not to be missed!

Here’s a night out not to be missed!

24 May 2026
Irvine Welsh, Men In Love, Charleston Festival, 23rd May 2026

Irvine Welsh charms the Charleston Festival

24 May 2026
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion reach Europe despite losing to Man Utd

Brighton and Hove Albion reach Europe despite losing to Man Utd

by Ed Elliot - PA
24 May 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Manchester United 3 The Seagulls have qualified for European football for only the second time...

All to play for as Brighton and Hove Albion host Manchester United

All to play for as Brighton and Hove Albion host Manchester United

by Frank le Duc
24 May 2026
0

Fabian Hürzeler has made three changes from last week as Brighton and Hove Albion host Manchester United in the final...

Welbeck double sinks Liverpool at Brighton and Hove Albion

Welbeck deserves a World Cup place, says Brighton and Hove Albion boss

by PA sport staff
23 May 2026
0

Danny Welbeck deserves a place in the England World Cup squad, according to Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Fabian...

Sussex Sharks open T20 Blast with a win

Sussex off to a winning start in the Blast

by Martin Smith - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 May 2026
0

Essex 191-5 (20 overs) Sussex Sharks 192-4 (16 overs) Sussex Sharks win by 6 wickets John Simpson hurried Sussex Sharks...

Load More
February 2021
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman dies as car and motorbikes crash 24 May 2026
  • Former assistant head awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13 23 May 2026
  • Biggest hospital in Sussex marks two key milestones 22 May 2026
  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News