• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Weekly food waste rounds on the cards with other rubbish collections fortnightly

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 16 Jun, 2021 at 9:39PM
A A
6
Why Brighton and Hove’s new bin lorries look like being diesel-powered rather than electric

The council plans to replace weekly rubbish collections with weekly food waste collections and pick up the “residual” rubbish once a fortnight.

It would also pick up glass and other recycling in separate vehicles every two weeks and continue to provide fortnightly garden waste collections for a fee.

The proposal is Brighton and Hove City Council’s “preferred option” out of five options for change that would enable the council’s rubbish and recycling service Cityclean to bring in weekly food collections.

In areas with communal bins, the frequency of collections would remain the same, with food waste containers added to the mix.

The proposed changes come as the government requires all councils to bring in weekly food waste collections by 2023.

A report to councillors said: “The introduction of food waste and the reduction of residual collection frequency, when undertaken together, can provide a balanced approach to delivering performance change and maintaining costs.”

But before any change is made, the council plans to carry out a feasibility study, draw up a business case and consult residents, staff and unions.

The plan to bring in food collections in Brighton and Hove is due to be debated by the council’s Environment, Transport and Sustainability Committee next Tuesday (22 June).

Another option would be to bring in weekly food collections and collect the rest of rubbish each week too – but council bosses expect this to cost £1 million a year more.

The council’s preferred option would be expected to cost about £30,000 a year less than the current set up.

Either way, new bin lorries would be needed – and earlier this year councillors approved a plan to spend an extra £1 million a year renewing the Cityclean fleet.

As a result, the budget went up from £1.5 million a year to £2.5 million as the council seeks alternatives to its predominantly diesel-powered current fleet.

Cityclean staff at work in St James’s Street in Brighton

The council would also need to spend money on providing every home with a food waste bin although officials hope to recover at least some of the cost from the government.

The report to councillors said that bringing in weekly food collections could send kerbside recycling rates could rise as much as 17 per cent.

Last September, Cityclean analysed kerbside rubbish collections and found that 37 per cent was food and drink – and more than half of that was packaged food.

The council’s Environment, Transport and Sustainability Committee is due to meet at 4pm next Tuesday (22 June). The meeting is scheduled to be webcast on the council’s website.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 6

  1. Robbo says:
    5 years ago

    1.Is it really worth reducing the collections to save so little money?
    2.Wouldn’t there be more rubbish and recycling to collect anyway, costing more money?
    3.Wouldn’t this deter recycling?
    4.Isn’t this also related to the foolish decision by Greens to end doorstep collections in many areas, thereby making it more difficult to collect food waste?

    Reply
  2. Christopher Hawtree says:
    5 years ago

    As most things can be recycled, it has always seemed to me weird that “general” waste is collected weekly but recyclables as a fortnightly afterthought. Then again, we are up against the bolshie GMB and Ecovia with its Big Burner at Newhaven (whose poisonous waste has to be buried in Cheshire).

    Reply
    • Rostrum says:
      5 years ago

      Recyclables are generally clean and save to store.

      General waste is mostly food and food preperation ‘wet’ waste and is not safe to store for weeks on end.

      The issue is also capacity for collection.
      At the moment all types of non commercial waste is only collected during day time hours.

      This should change.

      Reply
  3. Steve says:
    5 years ago

    A large proportion of waste is plastic and not recyclable. Everything seems to be wrapped in it or in plastic cartons or bottles. Tetrapacks are plasticised and not recylable. It’s not possible to shop in the main supermarkets without being laden with it. This is a far greater evil that is suffocating the planet a little more each day we do nothing about it. We should collect it en masse and return it to where it was purchased until they listen and push back to the producers of it – or maybe the council could collect it and do that for us.

    Reply
    • Robert Smith says:
      5 years ago

      Tetrapaks are recyclable in Brighton. Although admittedly not easily so with few points and most full to brimming half the time.

      Magpie Co-op also take Tetrapaks in their green box and opt-in paid services.

      Reply
  4. Derik Palmer says:
    5 years ago

    Most plastics ae in fact recyclable. The problem is that our council’s contracted ‘waste management’ company have not invested in the infrastructure to do so,hence much that could be recycled is consigned to landfill instead.

    I find it ironic that at some point in the dim and distant past B&H council signed a long-term contract with this company to collect our waste and recycle that which they can; but what we have ended up with is a company paid to do the job but prepared only to recycle the material they can make a profit on. There’s a tail wagging the dog here and it should be sorted out asap.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

Sussex Police officer denies child sex offences and perverting justice

New bus route to start next month

Weekly food waste rounds on the cards with other rubbish collections fortnightly

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

21 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

21 May 2026
Bound By The Wind, Rotunda Bubble, May 24-25th 2026

Bound By The Wind Brings The Story of Mulan

21 May 2026
Godz, Head First Acrobats, Brighton Fringe, May 2026

Godz Of Brighton Fringe

21 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
June 2021
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News