• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

£2.7m temporary housing scheme next to Royal Pavilion clears first hurdle

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 24 Jun, 2021 at 8:07PM
A A
1
Plans for new Brighton doctor’s surgery at Old Steine

Councillors have concerns about the £2.7 million cost of turning old offices into 11 flats for people needing temporary housing.

The Greens and Labour voted for the scheme to convert a Regency building in Old Steine and Palace Place, close to the Royal Pavilion, but the Conservatives voiced reservations.

Recently re-elected councillor Anne Meadows, a former chair of the council’s Housing Committee, said that the budget – after taking out the £890,000 cost of the land and building– might not be enough.

She told the committee yesterday (Wednesday 23 June): “There is a budget of £1.5 million to turn what is a very, very old, dilapidated building into 10 or 11 new flats, with all the associated sewage, water (and) all the other works that would be required.

“Plus safe walls between each flat, so there is security. That is not going to be cheap. I certainly don’t believe a budget of £2.66 million is enough to purchase the building and refit it as flats – especially if you intend to do it properly.”

She said that the Conservatives did not want the scheme to proceed because it would cost far more than the budget and would not provide value for money.

The Housing Committee was told that the market rate for the building was about £950,000.

If the council sold the building, Councillor Meadows said that the extra £60,000 could provide free water taps across the city.

Green councillor David Gibson said that the council would benefit financially from not spending money on paying private landlords for temporary accommodation if the scheme went ahead.

Councillor Gibson said that the conversion costs were quite high as the work proposed was extensive and he said: “I hope the costs have been properly estimated. Only time will tell.”

He had been around the building, he said, agreeing that it was in a “dilapidated state” but he had been assured by officials that it was structurally sound.

He added that work to convert the building, which most recently housed the Café Domenica charity, would be carried out to high sustainability standards.

Labour councillor Gill Williams said that she had received many emails raising concerns about the vulnerable being housed in the centre of Brighton.

The council’s interim assistant director of housing Martin Reid said that officials would create a letting plan to ensure there was a “careful view” of who was occupying the building.

There would be security, new lighting and CCTV.

The Housing Committee voted two to one in favour of the scheme which will still have to be approved by the council’s Policy and Resources Committee next Thursday (1 July).

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Brighton Girl says:
    5 years ago

    A ‘careful view’ from the department that put several child sexual offenders in Kendal Court next to a playground. I don’t believe they know how to be careful

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Man charged with raping woman on Brighton beach

Former Brighton MP gives Burnham a boost

£2.7m temporary housing scheme next to Royal Pavilion clears first hurdle

Pavement gullies for electric cars to be trialled

Drowned women now identified, police believe

Two men appear in court charged with murder in Brighton

Developer plans 12-storey block of co-living flats

Care provider chosen to run council’s £6m new supported living scheme

Brighton woman charged after pro-Palestine protest in London

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Top 5 music performances during this year’s Official and Unofficial ‘Escapes’

Top 5 music performances during this year’s Official and Unofficial ‘Escapes’

18 May 2026
A Bank Holiday Weekend of Art, Music and Food  with Nabihah Iqbal: Imagined, Eternal

A Bank Holiday Weekend of Art, Music and Food with Nabihah Iqbal: Imagined, Eternal

18 May 2026
The Great Escape marks its 20th anniversary with triumphant celebration of new music

The Great Escape marks its 20th anniversary with triumphant celebration of new music

18 May 2026
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Lantern Theatre, Brighton 22-23rd May 2026

Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

18 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
June 2021
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
  • Smurf line drug dealer jailed 13 May 2026
  • Patti Smith: A legend returns to Brighton Dome 13 May 2026
  • Driver arrested after woman dies in crash today 12 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News