• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Armed robber shot by police in Brighton was lawfully killed

by Frank le Duc
Saturday 4 Feb, 2012 at 7:38PM
A A
0

A man shot dead by police in Brighton was lawfully killed, according to the unanimous verdict of an inquest jury.

The jury returned their verdict yesterday (Friday 3 February) at Brighton Coroner’s Court.

They had been told that Michael Fitzpatrick, 49, was killed by armed officers in Rock Place, Brighton, on Thursday 10 February last year.

He died from gunshot wounds to the chest and abdomen.

The armed officers had intended to arrest Fitzpatrick who was suspected to have carried out a number of armed robberies in Burgess Hill.

But he pulled out a gun – a gas-powered BB gun – and pointed it at police.

Fitzpatrick, who had been jailed previously for 12 years for conspiracy to murder and two armed robberies, was shot by one of the officers.

He was given first aid by officers and taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital near by where he doctors pronounced him dead.

Sussex Police Assistant Chief Constable Olivia Pinkney said after the inquest: “My thoughts are with the family and friends of Michael Fitzpatick today at what is undoubtedly a very difficult time.

“The decision made by officers that day is one of the most profoundly difficult decisions an officer may face in their career.

“As heard during the inquest, the officers had just three seconds to take action to protect themselves and members of the public against the visible threat of a firearm.

“Firearms officers are highly trained and the use of lethal force is seen as a last resort to protect the public or themselves.

“Any decision to use that high level of force will weigh heavily on those officers’ minds.

“We have fully supported the coroner’s inquest and an Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) investigation into Michael Fitzpatrick’s death, providing documents and witnesses to help determine the cause of death and the circumstances in which he died.

“The IPCC didn’t find any failings by officers in respect of Michael Fitzpatrick’s death, concluding that excellent decision-making had taken place and that the officers’ actions were both appropriate and proportionate.

“The police operation was described as having been impeccably planned and officers had taken the right action to deal proactively with the threat posed by a dangerous individual.

“After completing what the coroner described as a robust and independent investigation, the IPCC concluded that the recommendations made to Sussex Police would not have prevented the death of Mr Fitzpatrick.

“Officers had acted within moments to tend to Mr Fitzpatrick, but tragically neither they nor paramedics were able to save his life.”

The Coroner for Brighton and Hove, Veronica Hamilton-Deeley, and the jury extended their sympathies to Mr Fitzpatrick’s family and the officers involved.

They specifically praised the immediate medical care provided by the firearms officers, describing it as exemplary.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Armed robber shot by police in Brighton was lawfully killed

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
February 2012
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
272829  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News